Wellness > Health

NCSU’s New Fitness Center: What You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Whether you go to the gym regularly or not, there is no doubt that you have noticed the new Wellness and Recreation center that has been under construction for over a year. Well, as of last week, the wait is finally over! This four-floor building is equipped with everything you need to stay physically active and healthy during this time. Don’t believe me? Just look at what they have to offer!

The first and second floors have all kinds of equipment to try out. These include dumbbells, treadmills, a plate loaded strength line, and exercise bikes. This floor also houses the new and improved climbing center which is open for roped climbing and bouldering and can be used for up to 60 minutes at a time. 

The third and fourth floors are my personal favorite. They house a multitude of exercise bikes, ellipticals, and treadmills to get your cardio in. They aren’t just for cardio though, they also cater to all of your arm and leg day needs with dumbbells of all weights, functional ab equipment, and plenty of free space to do floor work. The fourth floor also has a functional fitness rig for those who, unlike me, love to do full-body workouts. 

What sets this space apart from any other fitness area on campus is the aesthetic. It is an open floor plan, with huge windows that allow for natural light to come in. There are even outside workout terraces that overlook the softball fields. This space provides an innovative and modern ambiance that makes working out more enjoyable.

With COVID-19 there are some precautions to take into consideration. Face coverings are required if a minimum of 6 feet of physical distancing cannot be maintained. Disinfectant wipes are provided all around the area for the wiping down of every piece of equipment before and after you use it. This cleaning process was used before the pandemic, but it is even more important now. Every 75 minutes the fitness centers close to disinfect and clean the space for a new group of people to come in. With this, you need to make a reservation through the WellRec app or your WellRec account to use this space.  As you can see, the Wellness and Recreation center staff are working very hard to make sure that we have a safe space to work out, so make sure to thank them while you are there. 

I never thought I would say that I am excited to exercise, but this recreation center makes me want to get out of bed and head to the gym. If you are still on campus or are close by, make sure to check this place out! It is open Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. – 8 p.m. and Saturday through Sunday from 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. Happy exercising!

Molly Bennett is a sophomore at North Carolina State University. She is studying food science and loves to write for HerCampus. She can be found either going to the park, watching tv, or cooking in her free time.