This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Working out is an amazing way for you to take control of your body and mind’s overall wellness. Working out is not only the best way to burn calories and keep your body happy and healthy, but it is also a great way to release endorphins. These are hormones released by the brain to reduce the perception of pain in the body. They also have a positive impact on your overall mood, energy levels, and sense of well-being. This hormone is often known as one of the body’s many feel-good hormones.

Although there are many different pros as to why it is important to work out on a regular basis, it can still be very difficult to motivate yourself to get up and go. However, if you stay on track, you can 100% become a person who loves to work out for your own enjoyment! Listed below are five pointers on how to start enjoying working out.

Get into a routine

Humans are creatures of habit. This fact remains true when it comes to exercising. If you create a realistic schedule for yourself that you can stick to, eventually your body will become used to this schedule and come to expect regular exercise. Although it may be difficult to become motivated at first, once your body gets into this routine, it will become much easier.

Start with workouts you are interested in trying

Just because all of your friends are avid runners, or love to do the stair stepper for long periods of time, does not mean that in order to exercise properly you must match this. Start with exercises you are actually interested in that target parts of the body where you would like to see results. Eventually, you can ease into harder, more cardio-heavy workouts, but when just starting out you do not want to set yourself up to be discouraged easily. 

Set up a reward system

When you are just beginning to train yourself to enjoy working out, allow yourself a reward for each time you complete the allotted exercise time you had planned on finishing. Maybe a piece of chocolate at the end of a workout, or allowing yourself to watch an episode of your favorite show on days you go to the gym. Anything to get you motivated in the first couple of weeks will be a great way to get going!

Follow workout videos/tutorials

For beginners who are just starting their journey into exercising, it can be somewhat intimidating trying to find workouts that fit your skill level or preferences. Ease some of this tension by following a workout routine. These can often be found on youtube, and there are different ones out there catered to all kinds of skill levels and types of workouts. This can also be a great way for you to build your own workout routine by finding out which exercises you love, and which you want to avoid. 

Go with a friend

Sometimes it can be easier to stick to a workout schedule when a friend comes along with you! This way you can hold each other accountable, and having a friend come along can make the process a lot more enjoyable if you tend to get bored or burnt out too quickly.

There are many ways to motivate yourself to enjoy working out, and while different methods work for different people, one of these five suggestions should work for you. Try them out! Your body and mind will thank you for it.

Halle is a sophomore at NCSU as a nutrition science major. She loves running, fitness, and has a strong passion for dietary wellness!