This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

First and foremost, before anything else just take a minute. Stop what you’re doing, whether it’s studying, writing a paper, (or trying to avoid doing both) and take a deep breath. School can get in the way of a lot of things, so can simple everyday tasks that when stress hits, become the end of the world. In college, our lives get a little hectic and that’s okay, but just remember you need to take a minute to yourself. For me, it was never easy to relax, and it still isn’t; I can barely sit still, and I always have to do something. However, I am in the midst of learning that even when you don’t think you need a break, you actually do. Going into any situation with a cluttered mind is never helpful, you are better off taking a break and walking back into it with a fresh head.

There are many little things we can do in our everyday lives that we don’t realize are actually beneficial to us in the long run. I am currently giving you a list of things that may help make the day go by easier. Now, I know some of them work but others, well I’m still learning along with you. Here is a list of my top 5 tips to help get yourself in order and feel less stressed day by day:

1. When you wake up, make your bed as soon as you can to start your day off right.

I find this is such a small task but from personal experience, it can make your day all the better. It’s a small moment that shows you are ready to start your day with a positive attitude.

2. Always try to schedule in some “me-time”

Now this is a tricky one. I always struggle with this and before my boyfriend even mentioned to me I need a little “me-time” in my day, I never thought about it. Turns out it is a great way to get yourself together for either the rest of your day or the next day (depending on when you want it to happen). “Me-time” can be little things that you do throughout the day such as reading or watching your favorite show/movie or just getting everything in order and organized. Everyone has little things they like to do, so just take a minute to find yours.

3. Read or write

I coincidentally love to do both. Reading can be fun, as long as you have the right book and an interesting story at hand. And writing can be an amazing way to mark special memories or to vent a little bit about things going on.

4. Organization is key

I keep everything organized. My dorm room is very clean, I love setting up my picture frames and other decorative items on the shelves. Most of all, I keep my desk very neat. I make sure everything is visible and that I know where everything is. It can help make your day just a little bit easier and less stressful by keeping everything neat instead of ransacking every drawer just to find a book for class.

5. Smile!

I know, you’re rolling your eyes thinking I’m very cliché and corny for this but it’s true. A smile can make any day better. And guess what, you aren’t only brightening your day, you’re also giving someone else a little sunshine for the day.

Well, that’s all from me, I hope this can help a little bit! Remember, take a deep breath and smile bright, your day will be awesome.

Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Manhattanville  Want to join? Feel free to contact me at 1(914)467-9567 or cheskavkola@gmail.com