This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mville chapter.

Disclaimer:  Emily Behnke is not a certified nutritionist or doctor.  These are tips that she has found helpful for her personal level of gluten intolerance—if you have a very serious allergy to gluten, or if you are unsure of something you can or cannot eat, please check with your doctor or dietitian!

Gluten-free diets are not easy to stick to. Especially in college. As many doctors and dietitians have claimed, eating gluten-free is not very beneficial to weight-loss.  However, if you have chronic stomach pain or discomfort, you should speak to your doctor about being tested for Celiac Disease, a wheat allergy, or a simple intolerance.  If you do have any of the above problems, making the switch to an entirely gluten-free diet, or perhaps a mostly gluten-free diet with some cheat days, might be the best option for you.  

Here are three popular brands that provide gluten-free alternatives to your favorite foods:

1. Udi’s

When I started eating gluten free, the one thing I missed most was bread—And let me tell you, most gluten free breads just aren’t the same. Luckily for us, Udi’s bread comes close. Udi’s provides a variety of different types, including whole grain, cinnamon raisin and white sandwich bread. Additionally, they have hamburger and hot dog buns. I prefer to eat the bread toasted (which means grilled cheese is still an option for GF eaters), but it can be served cold as well.  The texture of the bread is similar to wheat bread, it’s not too dry and it doesn’t have that artificial, gluten-free blandness that typically follows GF bread. Udi’s also has a selection of other snacks, such as cookies and muffins, both of which are great alternatives to baking from scratch—which can be a handful, especially when you’re on the search for gluten-free flour. They have also come out with pizzas that have a variety of different toppings, and a plain crust so you can make a pizza using your own ingredients. The bread, muffins and pizzas should be stored in a refrigerator or freezer, so if you have one in your dorm room or have access to one, this is a great option for college students. Many schools, such as Manhattanville College, also serve Udi’s products in the cafeteria. Udi’s products can be ordered online, or found in most supermarkets and Target.  

2. Glutino

For those of you who have a sweet tooth, Glutino offers a wide variety snacks such as toaster pastries (similar to PopTarts), cookies, pretzels and chips. When I was first recommended to eat gluten-free, I immediately mourned the loss of my beloved Oreos, pretzel sticks, and strawberry PopTarts. I was elated when I found a brand that created gluten-free renditions of popular snack foods on the market. Many brands have done something similar, but personally, I think that Glutino has done it the best.  My favorite snack, the toaster pastries, have a similar taste and texture to their gluten-filled counterparts. The only thing missing is the icing—which is something that I wasn’t a huge fan of anyway. Since gluten-free products tend to be of dryer texture, it’s recommended that you heat the toaster pastries up to better taste the gooey center. Most of these products do not need to be refrigerated, which makes them a great option for college students.  They can be bought online and in the organic section of some supermarkets, such as Stop & Shop and Shop Rite.  

3. Amy’s Kitchen

Amy’s Kitchen is a brand that I knew about before I went gluten-free. This is a brand known for its accommodation to all types of dietary needs, whether it be gluten-free, vegan or vegetarian.  For those who are looking for more holistic meals, not just bread and cookies (even though we all wish we could live off of those alone!) this is the brand to go to. All ingredients used are listed clearly on the package, making it easy for those who suffer from a variety of food allergies. Amy’s Kitchen has an impressive selection of microwaveable dinners, ranging from stir fry to macaroni and cheese. Though the food is on the pricier end of the spectrum, the taste and quality of the food is worth trying one of the dishes if you have the money to spare. But if money is tight, don’t worry! Looking at the dishes that Amy’s Kitchen has created can spark ideas for you to make on your own at home. All you need to do it look at the ingredients and alter them to your liking for a cheaper alternative.  Amy’s Products can be bought online, or in most supermarkets.  

In addition to buying your own food, it’s also helpful to speak with the staff at your school’s cafeteria. Often they are aware of food allergies or dietary restrictions and are happy to accommodate. If you can’t seem to find these specific products in the supermarkets in your area, and buying online isn’t an option, the organic section of most grocery stores, including Target, have a variety of different brands to choose from! Reach out and try different things, the most important part of changing your diet is that you are happy and comfortable with what you’re eating.  

Emily Behnke is first and foremost a writer from Brookfield, Connecticut. She studies Creative Writing and Sociology at Manhattanville College. In her spare time she takes an interest in writing poetry, as well as reading it. Tons of it. When she's not reading poetry, she's probably reading a novel, or scrolling through articles on the New Yorker. She also writes for the blog Unwritten, and has work published in a number of other different publications. She hopes to start her own personal blog soon.
Shanice Peters is a Senior at Manhattanville College. She is from Brooklyn, NY. She's a Creative Writing major with a minor in Marketing and Communications. In her free time she enjoys making YouTube videos about fashion and beauty, writing on her personal blog and watching Gossip Girl. She's excited to be the Campus Correspondent for Manhattanville and hopes to engage students in her last year.