ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Stressed, Sick, Sleepy? There’s an Oil for That!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

So, you’re interested in the rejuvenating and magical world of essential oils. You’re pondering doing the very thing you swore you’d never do. After hearing your coworker go on and on about them, you find yourself curious. You’re not proud of it, but you’re falling into the trap. You’ve fought long and you’ve fought hard, but you’re ready to be swept away by the calming aromas of the earth. However, if you’re not, let me bear witness to the fact that you should be. 

Because here we are. We don’t want to admit it, but we’ve reached the end of our wits. We’re desperate to do anything that will make us forget that we aren’t up to our eyes in deadlines and assignments. In the midst of drowning, essential oils will make you feel like you’re floating on top of those still waters. 

There’s a reason everyone talks about them, and it’s just simply because they work. Go ahead and say “it’s all in your head,” but even if it is, let us just have this one thing to look forward to. If all it takes is a little trickery of the mind to get some relaxation or motivation, sign me up. But I’m here to tell you, try them once and you’ll be hooked forever.

Jumping into the world of essential oils can be confusing and honestly, a little intimidating. There are so many with so many different functions and ways to apply them. However, I’m here to tell you that it doesn’t have to be that difficult to utilize them efficiently.

So, you might say, “ok, tell me what’s so special about these little aromatic golden nectars of the earth?” Well, a lot, but we’re going to stick to the basics because that’s all you care to know. Honestly, that’s about the extent of my knowledge and basically all you need to know. With that being said, these next three oils can easily be implemented into your day and knock out anything in your way.

Lavender Oil This one is a fan favorite, probably the most popular essential oil. I’m sure you’ve heard of it and have a vague understand all its capabilities, but we’re going to break it down real quick. 

Nausea  To reduce the feeling of nausea or motion sickness, directly place a drop of oil on the end of your tongue, behind your ears and around your navel.

Relaxation and calming Diluting a few drops of the oil and using a diffuser is a great way to benefit from its calming effects. However, if you don’t own a diffuser that’s no problem! Just put 2 drops of oil in your hand and inhale into your amygdala gland. This is the part of your brain that experiences your emotions, so inhale this straight up to your brain to give that gland a taste of lavender’s calm and soothing aroma. You can also apply it topically by rubbing it on your temples for an immediate calming sensation.

Sleep Aid To extract the oil’s sleep aid functionalities, smooth a drop of oil into your pillow or use the inhaling method right before bed. 

Peppermint Oil Just like lavender oil, peppermint oil is extremely versatile in its capabilities. To name a few, it has a cooling sensation, provides headache relief, can loosen muscle tension, boosts energy and can reduce nausea.

Nausea To reduce nausea, massage several drops topically into the abdominal area. You can also use the inhale method to aid in getting rid of a belly ache.

Heartburn If you’re experiencing heartburn, you can add a few drops of peppermint oil to an herbal tea, but make sure to add honey. Honey will help blend the oil and tea. Digesting the oil will aid in the relief of heartburn.

Congestion This one is my favorite! I diffuse peppermint while I sleep, and I always wake up feeling clear and refreshed. However, you can also apply it orally. Place a drop on your tongue and inhale into your sinuses to defend or prevent worsening cold symptoms. 

Headache Put 2-3 drops in the palm of your hand and massage across your forehead, on temples and over your sinuses. If you feel tension in the back of your neck, rub it on that area as well.

Fever Odd, but just rubbing the oil on the bottom of your feet to soak all of the oils up and putting on a pair of socks will help reduce your body temperature!

Removing mental exhaustion Place a few drops of pol on your tongue and under your nose to improve alertness and concentration.

Eucalyptus

Eucalyptus has more specific areas of expertise like skin care and removing joint pain. The oil is extracted from the evergreen eucalyptus tree. Because a lot of its uses are beneficial when applied topically, it works well when diluted in water and sprayed on the body.

Skin Care It can easily be applied directly to an infection or wound. The oil works to help skin heal quicker than it normally would.

Relieves Joint Pain It also helps to relieve muscle tension or stress tensions. Massage the oil directly to the surface of the skin where you feel pain. Rub it in in circular motions. The oil is anti-inflammatory in nature, which helps reduce irritation on the muscles and joints.

Allow yourself to experiment and find combinations that are good for you! Make your own little potions and fall in love with creating an atmosphere that fits your needs. Good luck on your adventure into the magical world of essential oils. May the sweet aroma of lavender, peppermint and whatever else your little heart chooses to experiment with always surround you.

Photo by Christin Hume on Unsplash

Michaelyn is a senior journalism student with a minor in English at Murray State University and along with being a writer for Her Campus, she is a content creator for The Odyssey! She loves Jesus, musicals, makeup, writing and laughing. Michaelyn is also bilingual--as she is fluent in memes and GIFs. On campus, she works as a student public relations writer, is a member of the Murray State Social Media Team and is involved in her sorority. When Michaelyn isn't busy at school, work or being the "GIF Queen," she can be found cuddled up with her puppy and a cup of coffee.