pool party sunnies
pool party sunnies
Kellyn Simpkins / Her Campus

The Spring Semester Essentials in Murray

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

The warmer weather, the rainstorms, the seasonal allergies, spring is finally here! Spring in Murray is such a fun time, but only if you have the essentials. I’m here to give you the top five essentials to survive a rainy spring in Murray.

1. Rain Boots

The number one essential to living in Murray, especially on campus, is rain boots. When it rains it pours and our drainage system isn’t the greatest. By now you’ve definitely encountered lake Lizzo along with the many other wannabe mini lakes around campus. I’ve seen a lot of people with cute little ankle rain boots but I personally like my taller boots. The water tends to splash up higher than just your ankles so I like my taller ones to keep me dry. Nothing is worse than wearing wet pants all day.

1. Ankle Rain Boots
  2. Mid-Calf Boots
  3. Tall Boots

2. Rain Jacket

A good rain jacket goes hand in hand with the rain boots. It’s item two in the perfect rain gear trio that every Racer needs! I see so many people with all kinds of rain jackets around campus. A lot of girls in sororities have windbreakers that could work for a rain jacket. I have two rain jackets that I alternate on depending on the situation. Most of the time when I’m on campus I am able to check the weather before I leave my dorm so I will wear a rain jacket when I leave. But when I’m traveling I often carry a windbreaker that can be folded to fit in a bag. Whatever type of rain jacket you like is the perfect one to keep you dry. 

1. Zip-up jacket
  2. My Favorite Rain Pullover

​3. Umbrella

You have the choice between two different types of umbrellas to keep you dry: the sturdy but large one or the compact but flimsy one. I have yet to find an in-between. I prefer to keep a compact umbrella on me at all times because you never know when it will start raining. Just keep it in one of the drink pouches of your backpack!

1. Compact
  2. Sturdy

4. Hammock

One of my favorite things to do is hammock! It’s the perfect place for me to read a new book, work on a knitting project, or even take a long nap. Hammocking can be social as well. I often go hammocking with my friends and we’ll hang out around the same trees. As it begins to get warmer you’ll start to see more people hammocking in the quad and right off the bridge. Personally I like to hammock at the parks in Murray because it guarantees that I will be stared at a lot less by people walking to class. I recommend getting a hammock if you love the outdoors and enjoy sitting and soaking up the sunshine. They aren’t too expensive either. Hammocks can range from cheap to real expensive. I bought mine off of Amazon for under $30!

1. Under $25
  2. Over $50
  3. Over $100

​5. Sunglasses

Everyone needs a quality pair of sunglasses for walking to class. I wear sunglasses constantly and I am not ashamed of it. Squinting gives me headaches and it also causes wrinkles. Plus it’s more comfortable than straining your eyes to see. 

1. Under $20
  2. Under $50

Here’s to a spring full of changing weather and to being prepared for whatever comes our way! 

Hannah Kamman

Murray State '22

Hannah Kamman is an elementary education major at Murray State University. In her spare time, she enjoys watching movies, spending time outside and cuddling with her cat. She is a dance teacher and a tree hugger.