ENNEAGRAM INTRO PICTUREpng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ENNEAGRAM INTRO PICTUREpng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Taylor Shea West

Enneagram and You: Type Four, The Individualist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Murray State chapter.

“In this game of hide and seek, I can’t help but think that ordinary has swallowed the key.”

Welcome to week five of Enneagram and You with Taylor! This week we’ll be covering Enneagram Type Four, also known as ‘The Individualist’. During this article, I’ll be covering the basics of a healthy type four as well as an unhealthy type four. I’ll be keeping the logistics simple as usual because it can turn into information overload. I’ll also include tips to help bring out the best of your type, book, and song suggestions, along with encouraging lock screens and gear made for your type four self! With that being said, let’s jump in.

Type fours, aka ‘The Individualists’, are known for being extremely self-aware. The Individualists are honest in how they feel, which helps them express their creativity in life. Type fours strive to find themselves, along with their significance in the world.

With this desire in fours, they tend to have problems with self-indulgence and self-pity. The basic fear of a type four individual is simply realizing they have no identity or significance. With a Type Four, there is the possibility of being a Type Four with a Wing Three or a Type Four with a Wing Five. A Type Four Wing Three is known as ‘The Aristocrat’ and a Type Four Wing Five is known as ‘The Bohemian’. 

A few examples of well-known Type Fours are Stevie Nicks, Judy Garland, Kat Von D., Paul Simon, Anne Frank, Jackie Kennedy, and Winona Ryder.

Let’s look into and discuss the healthy and unhealthy levels of a Type Four. As per usual, we will start with the healthy levels first!

Healthy Levels 

At their best, fours are extremely creative! These individuals express themselves throughout their craft, which overall helps them feel inspired with life. With this, Type Fours are able to transform any of their own experiences into something self-creative. Fours are self-aware, always on the lookout to find themselves in a healthy way. They’re sensitive and very compassionate to others. With their outlook on life, this type is full of individuals who bring humor and lots of smiles to others.

(Do I have a Type Four in my life? You betcha. Do I love him with my entire heart? Absolutely.)

Average Levels 

In the last two weeks, I’ve been adding in average levels of an Enneagram Type. I find it helpful to realize if you’re in this particular level because you can pinpoint what exactly you can approve on, and what to watch out for if you’re slipping into a lower level. At these average levels, Fours take on the need to create these astatic environments that reflect their feelings. Their passionate feelings really create a fantasy in a way.

In the middle of the average levels, Fours start to take everything personally and become self-absorbed. This creates very moody feelings towards everyone around them, which slips into an introverted lifestyle.

Unhealthy Levels 

At their unhealthiest, Fours take on the feelings of self-pity. If a certain dream fail or tasks aren’t completed to their liking, they become angry at themselves, depressed and separate themselves from others and outside interactions. With this concept of feeling like they have no significance, Fours feel hopeless and extremely self-destructive. Emotional breakdowns aren’t rare when someone hits this lower level.

Personally attacks. Never fun. It’s freaky and scary when you realize some of the lower level traits match with your current behaviors. Don’t sweat it though. The purpose of these articles is for you to pinpoint where you’re at in life and decided if you need to do a little self-improving. If so, I’ve got a few suggestions below to help!

Grab your readers!

You can read these at night before bed, in the morning with your coffee (my personal favorite) or whenever you need a pick me up throughout the day.

1. The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

2. When Bad Things Happen To Good People by Harold Kushner

3. You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero

4. Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson

Jam Session!

Music is a major key factor in my everyday life, especially when I’m struggling. Or when I’m not! You cannot go wrong with some tunes to make your day better.

1. Atlas Four by Sleeping at Last
  2. Can You See Me by The Moons
  3. Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls
  4. The Trouble with Poets by Peter Mulvey
  5. You Will Be Found by Ben Platt
  6. Venus Fly by Grimes
  7. Stick by Banks
  8. Split Stones by Maggie Rogers
  9. Broken by lovelytheband
  10. The Night We Met by Lord Huron
  11. Flirting With The Black by Colin Leonard
  12. Mess Is Mine By Vance Joy

Small Reminders

I’ve noticed lock screens help me when I need to be reminded that I’m worthy and what I’m doing is enough. Plus, you can write these on post-it notes and stick them on your mirror for another reminder.

Mugs and More!

Coffee Mugs!

Grab a cup of joe in these bad boys. 

Home Decor: 

Fun Stuff: 

As usual, I’ll be recommending The Sleeping At Last Podcast over Enneagram Type Fours. During this podcast, Ryan O’Neal, singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist of Sleeping At Last, will breakdown the song he personally wrote for type fours. Not only this, but enneagram master Chris Heuertz will also give you a deep understanding of your type. Will it feel like a personal attack at times? Probably. Though it’s only to show you where you get your mannerisms from. It’s such a fun and interesting listen. Cool bonus fact; all of the instrumentalists are type fours!  

With that, I’ll leave you this week. Please continue to dive more and more into your type, as well as spread the word with your friends and family! Learning more about the people in your everyday life really helps build stronger relationships and gives you insight on how to handle situations with others.

Remember, you bring joy to EVERYONE around you! Your creativity is out of this world. Keep on keepin’ on!

Until the next week, go forth and conquer!

Taylor Shea West

Murray State '21

Taylor Shea West is a Journalism student at Murray State University with a minor in Criminal Justice. If she's not obsessing over Marvel films, listening to new music or finding a way to get to Australia, you can usually find Taylor learning lines for a new short film. Catch up on the latest with Taylor on her Instagram as @taylorwestofficial