absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Vegan on Campus: Easy Dining Hall Tofu Marinade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Hello! This is your friendly neighborhood (campus) vegan! As my fellow vegans probably know, it is BEYOND difficult to find delicious food on campus. Then, once you find good food, you are constantly eating the same thing every single day. It gets tedious. You start having nightmares about the three kale salad bowls a day that you know you will have to eat. I feel for all of you and I have been there. That’s why I decided I was going to take back food. That’s right. I was going to make vegan food on campus tasty again. I decided I could not keep this venture to myself; I needed to share it with my vegan/vegetarian readers who are dying for solutions to mundane dining hall food. I started the first week of classes with a simple, Asian- inspired tofu marinade made out common dining hall ingredients. Hope you all enjoy! (I eyeballed many of these ingredients so feel free to change up the measurements to your taste!)

Directions:

– Put about 2 cups of soft tofu in a container. All of the marinade ingredients can be added to this container:.

-2 tbsp. of soy sauce

-1/2 tsp of sesame oil

-1 tsp of sesame seeds

-1 small squirt of Sriracha

-The juice from two lemon wedges

-1 tsp of garlic powder

-I don’t eat honey and there was no agave, so I melted a sugar packet in 2 tbsp of hot water and put that in the mixture. If you eat honey or if your dining hall has agave, feel free to substitute that in.

-Mix it all up so that the tofu is coated in the marinade.vegan

-Put it in the fridge to sit for about six hours.

You can eat this on its own, or combine with rice or veggies. If you have any ideas for recipes that you would like me, your friendly campus vegan, to try out, let me know in the comments below. Enjoy!

Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.