This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

“SUNSCREEN! SUNSCREEN! SUNSCREEN!”

If you have fair skin, you have probably heard this every time you have went in the sun. With the sun starting to come out with the warm weather, it’s time to think seriously about your skin’s health. When shopping for sunscreen, make sure that you are aware of what level SPF you are selecting. You should use a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 to be safe. People always think that higher the SPF, the better, but sunscreen is quite the same after 30.  

Both of my older sisters get extremely tan in the summer. Because of this standard that is all I wanted to look like when I was younger. It was not until my sister worked at a dermatologist’s office that she made the choice to stay out of the sun and under the tent while we went to the beach. She did a complete 180, going from sitting in the sun to wearing sunscreen every single day.

I do not think people really understand how dangerous the sun is. Yes, it is great to look tan for the summer, but the damage it does to your skin lasts way longer than the summer. The immediate danger of too much sun is sunburn. I know what you’re thinking…this isn’t too bad. However, if you keep getting sunburned, your skin will start to look dry and wrinkled. It can also lead to deadly skin cancers.

People think sun exposure is good for you because of Vitamin D. However, you can get Vitamin D from all sorts of foods. Even if you tend to tan rather than burn in the summer, your skin is still being harmed by the sun exposure. You should always reapply every 20 – 30 minutes, no matter how annoying it is! You want to look young and be healthy for as long as you can!

I am a junior at Muhlenberg College and play on the Women's Basketball team. I love to hang out with my friends, family, and I have a ten year old golden retriever named Jake.
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.