More Than Clothes: Getting it Together for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Thanksgiving is an amazing holiday…if you disregard the fact we will have to actually talk to all those relatives we don’t see about our whole lives. Let’s be real. When our grandparents or aunts ask us those incredibly awkward questions in front of the entire family at the dinner table, we have to make it look like we are not put on the spot and embarrassed.Thanksgiving puts a ridiculous amount of pressure on us; we not only have to field questions, but we have to look good doing it. We have to put on an act for the family. We have to seem presentable, grown, and make it look like we are not dying from sleep deprivation (college is all fun and games right?). In actuality, all we want to do is eat, sleep, and repeat all break. Luckily, I have a way to make you look, confident, beautiful, comfy, and cute (all at the same time) over Thanksgiving break. 

The fall weather makes picking your outfits easier; you can get away with a lot of simple layering and silhouettes. For this year, this is what is in style:

• Skirts. Any length is acceptable.

• Tights

• Boots; high, low, or, if you want to look especially chic, over the knee.

• Big sweaters. Turtlenecks especially make people look taller and sleek.

If you want to be comfy, but still look like you have your act together, I gotchu. 

Just throw on a sweater, leggings, and boots, and you are good. If you want to spice it up, add some earrings or eyeshadow. A low cut sweater paired with mom jeans might also be the perfect casual solution! Mom jeans are perfect for thanksgiving because if we went to stuff our faces (which we will) they are not too tight and are flattering.

No matter what your style, it is possible to look put together in front of your family on Thanksgiving. Just remember: even with the pressure to impress, stay true to yourself. That is what will really get you through this holiday. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

My name is Alison and I currently go to Muhlenberg College. I study Theatre but also have an eye for fashion. My style is a huge part of who I am. I not only express myself on stage, but express myself with the my wardrobe. Owning your own style and vibe is important. Writing for HerCampus is also a privilege for me because now I can write about fashion, give advice, and encourage my readers to own who they are with the clothes they wear. I also keep people updated on my outfits and what i wear that gets me through college! I encourage people to follow me on my instgram almaybaum_ and my Visco!
Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.