This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Mental health and self-care are two incredibly important subjects to address, especially in college when stress levels are especially high. Therapy and counseling can be important to the upkeep of one’s mental health with these topics, but not everyone has the resources to seek out a therapist while in school. An alternative that is relatively inexpensive and inspires creativity is journal therapy.

This is a form of writing therapy that focuses on internal thoughts and feelings. The writer notes the emotions they are currently experiencing and topics that have caused them distress in their journal. This process allows the writer to express their emotions in a self-directed way. Keeping all of these thoughts in one place is incredibly helpful and useful for tracking progress in terms of mental health because it creates self-awareness. With this in mind, a writer can consider logging the date of each entry so that it is easy to refer to specific events or emotions and keep track of any patterns that arise.

Being in a safe, private space to journal is a good practice. It can help to associate positive feelings and emotions with journal writing. Whether this is listening to music or drinking tea, being in a relaxed state while writing will likely increase the constructive effects. The experience of journaling should not be stressful or taxing; even just writing out a list of emotions and feelings can be helpful, instead of lengthy paragraphs.

In order to really benefit from this practice, it is important to consistently journal. Finding a time that works best for your schedule to sit down and write in a safe space is important; keep in mind that even writing for 10 minutes can be productive and beneficial. Another part of journal therapy can be artistically expressing one’s thoughts or emotions with paint, markers or other mediums. Adding another creative aspect to the experience can be a great way to express how you are feeling, and a fun outlet!

Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.