Wellness > Mental Health

Improving Your Mood in the Midst of College Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

The four years you spend in college are four years that you will remember forever. I know it sounds cliche, believe me-I have been to one too many talks given to students where this quote tumbled gracefully from the words of motivators mouths. But, contrary to what many people believe, the stress that you put yourself under throughout college can impact your memorable four years and, possibly, the rest of your life.

I find that my fellow students and I are often under so much stress and pressure that mood swings appear almost every day. Before going to class, a student may feel happy and ready to take on their day and the challenges it holds. But, after sitting for an hour and a half and finding out they have a project due the next week, the student’s mood shifts rapidly. I have seen this happen countless times, and I can attest to this example with some of my own college experiences. Luckily, I’ve figured out how to balance my mood and keep a positive outlook. Here are some tips:

1. Treat yourself.

It is hard to be a college student, and money can certainly be a concern, but it is okay sometimes to purchase that new shirt that you want or take yourself to Starbucks for their irresistible fall season coffees.

2. Get a good night’s sleep.

During my first semester of freshman year, I was flooded with schoolwork-I had never had this much in high school! I found myself pulling all-nighters, and if I wasn’t staying up all night, I was probably forcing myself to go to bed at 3 am. I can tell you that my grades did not improve. They crashed. My mood and my health were also affected. Make sure to rest well every night that you can!

3. Take a mental health day, if needed.

Some classes allow for a certain number of absences. If you are in good standing regarding attendance and you find yourself becoming fatigued, It is okay to miss a class and rest your mind.

4. Spend some time outside.

Take a hike, go on a picnic, or even just sit and do some homework.

5. Grab some free stuff.

Your college is bound to offer free food, free t-shirts, or more free swag for some events-get yourself out there!

6. Go to the gym.

It releases endorphins-feel good while working out!

College can be a hard time, but don’t let your mood take over your well-being. Stay positive and happy!