bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How to Avoid The Infamous “Freshman 15” in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

I’m obsessed with everything health and wellness related. Some would even consider me to be a “health” or “gym freak,” because I live for a good workout or a good meal. When I came to college my freshman year, I understood that my habits were going to change, but it’s hard to predict what will happen. Everyone’s body is different, and everyone has different preferences as to how they like to enjoy being healthy. Hopefully, I can give you some helpful tips to lead a healthy lifestyle in college.

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle while at school isn’t as impossible as everyone makes it out to be. The key is to be balanced, support yourself, and understand that your eating and workout routine you had in high school or over the summer, will most likely change.

For me, I went from going food shopping for myself and making my own meals at home to having an unlimited dining hall plan. My number one rule in life is to “listen to your body.” Even though I could eat endless amounts of food all day, I listen to: when I’m hungry, what I’m craving, and how balanced I’ve been throughout the day. It’s important also to remember that you don’t have to eat 100% clean 100% of the time. Muhlenberg has one of the top college dining halls in the country, and we are number one in Pennsylvania, so trust me…I know it can be tempting. It’s okay to eat a chocolate chip cookie or eat tortellini on Pasta Monday at Mule Express. Don’t stress it!

My freshman year, I found it really difficult to find a solid gym routine. In high school, I would finish classes at 3:15 p.m. and head to practice or to the gym, so it was different for me to find times during my day to fit in a workout. When managing your own schedule, give yourself an hour or two in the day to take the time to go to the gym. When I plan out my days in the morning, I write out the times of my classes, when I’m going to eat, when I’m going to do my homework, and when I’m going to go to the gym. Doing this helps me stay more organized, as I work better on a set schedule. If you’re “Type A” like me, I definitely recommend you do this.

It’s vital that you remember not to beat yourself up over the little things and trust that if you feel like you want some froyo, then eat the damn thing. Life’s too short to be caught up on the little things so eat well, keep active, and be happy.

Ella Bruck

Muhlenberg '21

Hi I'm Ella! I'm a sophomore at Muhlenberg College and a Media & Communications and Anthropology double major. I'm the Managing Editor and event coordinator for Her Campus at Muhlenberg. Some things about me: I love working out, travelling, and eating food (especially sushi)!