This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Are you feeling less motivated than usual? Do you find yourself feeling exhausted and irritable all the time? Are the tasks that you used to love starting to feel like a chore? Have you found yourself procrastinating more than usual with your schoolwork? If you answered yes to most of these questions, chances are you might be experiencing burnout. Burnout is a negative mental, physical, or emotional reaction to prolonged studying that results in exhaustion, frustration, lack of motivation, and decreased school productivity. According to the American College Health Association, more than 30% of college students in the U.S are impacted negatively by stress. Luckily, there are many tips to combating burnout. Keep reading to find out ways to combat college burnout.

1. Recognize the symptoms 

Original Illustration Designed in Canva for Her Campus Media

It’s essential to know the early signs of burnout so you can take action and take steps to improve your health to prevent things from spiraling out of control.

2. Surround Yourself With a Good Support System

four women talking to each other
Photo by RF._.studio from Pexels

College can be a very stressful time, so it’s essential to surround yourself with people who you know will support you in your time of need. 

3. Time Management and Organization are Key

planner picture
Photo by Alexa Williams from Unsplash

Students who keep up with their assignments and prepare for exams in advance are less likely to experience burnout than those who wait until the last minute. A great tool to use for time management/organization is a planner. Planners help you manage your time effectively by allowing you to keep track of important deadlines and responsibilities to help you avoid procrastination. 

4. Set realistic goals

Back-to-school supplies, agenda
Alexa Williams

Setting realistic goals is essential because when you set unrealistic goals, you are more likely to get discouraged during the process, causing you to be more likely to give up on your dreams. But if you set realistic goals, this keeps you motivated, so you are less likely to give up.

5. Maintain Your Health 

Acai health bowl
Photo by Alexis Chloe from Unsplash

Often health gets put on the back burner when things are getting hectic in school. Even when you have a lot going on, make sure to stay active and eat foods that will nourish your body to protect your physical and mental health. This tip is easier said than done but try to maintain a healthy sleep schedule. Having enough sleep will not only increase your productivity but boost your overall mood. 

6. Set Aside Times for Something You Love

Girl doing Yoga
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

When experiencing increased stress levels, it is crucial to set aside time out of every day to do something that you enjoy and find relaxing, so you can take your mind off whatever is causing you stress.

7. Know When it’s Time to Seek Help From A Professional

Photo by Polina Zimmerman from Pexels

Suppose you begin feeling overwhelmed, and your stress seems to be taking over your life entirely, to the point where it is getting in the way of your day-to-day activities. In that case, you should consider going to a doctor and talking to them about your symptoms. 

And remember, if you are experiencing burnout, you are not alone. With everything going on globally, so many people are struggling, but we can get through this if we stick together. With that, I hope you enjoyed this article and found some of the tips listed above helpful in combating burnout.

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.  

Hi everyone my name is Sophia Erivbieta. I am a freshman at Mount Holyoke and I go by the she/her pronouns. I plan on majoring in philosophy and psychology.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.