Steamed Vegetables
Steamed Vegetables
Torey Walsh / Spoon
Wellness

You Need To Take Care of Yourself First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Just think, we literally only live once. I don’t mean to bring out the old phrase again from 2011, but it is more than accurate. We only have one life, one body, and one chance to do everything we want in life. So why wouldn’t we take care of our one body while we are here? We absolutely do not get another one. 

I have been rethinking a lot about my physical health, mental health, and overall outlook on life lately and I am confused as to how I haven’t thought more about it before. It is so blatantly obvious. The United States is known for having the highest rates of obesity, heart disease, and diabetes due to what we put into our bodies. Don’t get me wrong; I love fast food, desserts, and drink coffee a little more than most. However, I also try to incorporate more natural foods into my diet as well. 

Most of our diet should be natural foods that come straight from the source with no extra things put into it. It just makes sense. Food has the most nutrients when it is directly consumed from the source. If we ate more natural foods and got more exercise during the day, would we need to take painkillers for headaches? Would we need to run off of however many cups of coffee a day? We only get one body, so why wouldn’t we want to fuel it with the best things?

Mental health is also so important for you, even though some people may downplay it today. If you are not with a clear, calm, and healthy mind, how will you go through life? We expect people to be able to carry so much on their plates and still be sane. As a society, we collectively need to normalize taking a break once in a while to just breathe and take time to ourselves. It is so important to be okay in your own mind. 

In the end, we do only live once. No matter how cheesy it may sound, it is true. I am not saying that you can’t eat cake or enjoy things in life. What I am saying is that we may live a healthier, longer, and happier life by just simply taking care of ourselves. 

Things to check out: 

Book: Superlife by Darin Olien

MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.