Career > Work

Women-Owned Businesses in MI to Support Throughout the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

While the pandemic presented a lot of women with the chance to start their businesses and gain financial independence and stability, it also had devastating impacts on the lives of many women who already had their own businesses. From women starting their businesses out of necessity to women losing their life’s work and not being compensated for the same, these last few years have been extremely difficult on women nationwide. It is thus imperative for us to support our local businesses now more than ever as they start to heal from the damage that the pandemic caused. For all Michiganders looking for women-owned businesses to support this year, here’s a list of just a few amazing businesses to shop from:

1. Socialight Society, Lansing

Located in the capital city of Michigan, Socialight society is a community-centered bookstore that curates books predominantly authored by women of color.

2. Aerial Dragonfly Movement Studio, Ferndale

If you are looking for a new way to get fit or just want to have fun and try new things, look no further because Aerial Dragonfly Movement studio is the place for you. It is a woman and veteran-owned business in Ferndale and is highly recommended by anyone who has tried it.

3. B’Bites, online and in-stores around Michigan

B’Bites is a woman-owned business that sells deliciously handcrafted vegan and gluten-free snacks that are packed with nutrients and can be enjoyed by people of all ages.

4. RAM Insurance and Financial Services, Highland

Started by Brenda Oldham in 2001, the company provides a wide range of insurance and financial services like college fund planning, retirement, life and health insurance, and tax considerations to name a few.

5. Chocoletzle, Midland

Started in 2019 by then high school student Fatimah Khan, Chocoletzle sells a bunch of mouth-watering desserts like cakes and their signature chocolate-covered pretzels. The owner, Fatimah, is a college student studying at Central Michigan University and has achieved so much at just 19 years of age. This is definitely a business worth trying from and I must say my mouth was watering just going through their website!

6. WHIM, Detroit

Founded by Lori McColl, WHIM is a technological and design-based company that helps companies and businesses achieve their full potential by protecting and enhancing the quality of the business’s data

7. Parini Designs, Detroit

Founded by two amazing women, one of whom is a Michigan State alum, Parini Designs is an interior design studio located in Detroit that hosts an all-woman senior design panel. Their shop dog, official mascot and store-greeter, Shosh, makes visiting their studio a truly wholesome experience.

Shrishti is an Economics major who is a little obsessed with chai, sitcoms, and the color turquoise. While she regrets growing out of her bookworm lifestyle, Shrishti enjoys the occasional work of fiction especially when it is accompanied by a warm cup of her mother's filter coffee. She is a proud feminist and is always open to learning about how she can make her activism more intersectional. In her free time, Shrishti can be found dancing around her room to either Taylor Swift or early 2000s Bollywood music, or sometimes even a weird combination of the two.