This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The pandemic has changed many things in our world today. Like how we socialize or how we run events. Basically, the pandemic has changed how we run our daily lives. Before this, we would all go out with friends with no masks on, and not care about something as simple as a “virus.” We were all carefree and would do as we pleased. We did what we had to do in order to survive in our day to day lives. Now, we have all altered our lives, but that doesn’t mean it’s all bad. 

I know, how can something be good when there are so many things bad? Let me explain. Before the pandemic, we didn’t care about the cleanliness of the small things. Carts we use in the grocery store were never cleaned. Counters were never cleaned. Rails, handles, and other things were extremely filthy, but now that the pandemic has happened, we care more about the cleanliness of things that we didn’t before. 

We also have had more realization of how important one’s health is. Now, if someone is not feeling well or if they’re sick, we allow them to stay home and recover from whatever it is they are feeling. People are now allowed to stay home instead of spreading the sickness around to others, which should have been allowed even before the pandemic, but hey it’s a start. Also, there seems to be more attention to affordable health care, so that’s another plus! 

Lastly, another positive thing that the pandemic has done is allow for more light to be shined on environmental issues. During the lockdown, the health of our environment had gone up as there was less pollution in the air. We noticed how much our fossil fuels and carbon emissions had actually affected our environment and health. It does suck how it took for a global pandemic to shed light on a topic that has been important for a very long time. I am glad though that us environmentalist enthusiasts are getting representation for a topic we have been advocating for a long time! 

Will things ever be the same? Honestly, I don’t think they ever will. 

Yes, the pandemic sucks in a variety of different ways, but I think if we try to stay positive and realize that after this is over, things will be better. We will have more advanced medical practices, experience in case we have another pandemic, and we will all come out of this as more understanding, hygienic people. 

Genevieve Fox is a senior at Michigan State University studying Environmental Journalism. She is an E-Board Member and Design Chair for Her Campus MSU. She has designed Her Campus MSU merch for the years 2021 and 2022. Her writing has been featured in the Spartan Newsroom, Great Lakes Echo, Capital News Service, and WKAR. She also has audio work featured on The Food Fix podcast and WKAR-radio.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.