This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The second season of Warrior Nun released on November 10, 2022. The Netflix original series follows an orphaned teen who wakes up in a morgue with supernatural abilities. She must now fight in the battle between good and evil alongside a group of demon-fighting nuns. 

The show plays with morality in an incredibly fascinating way. There is no clear line or division between “right” and “wrong.” Power and trust can be manipulated, and the way people present or project their morals in the world isn’t necessarily reflective of how moral they truly are. 

Warrior Nun is both character and plot driven. The plot is intriguing while also presenting characters that the view is able to love and connect with. 

Women’s personhood is explored in the series. They are allowed to be simultaneously strong, soft, driven, and loving without it diminishing their power. Strength is more than being able to handle something yourself. The dynamic these women have with each other displays that you don’t need to be alone to be powerful. 

The exploration of power, especially female empowerment, is a major theme. Female friendships and found family are showcased in a beautiful way. It reveals that women can have strong and fulfilling relationships with each other. 
Watching Warrior Nun made me feel the way that I do when I read a dystopian or fantasy series. You’re pulled into the world and able to develop a deep connection with the characters. The world building and action/fighting scenes play a role in this novel-like feeling. The fighting scenes serve as a way to showcase growth, revealing how the friendships have developed to the point where they can now anticipate the other women’s moves and are a unified force.

Bella is a fourth year student at Michigan State majoring in Apparel and Textiles with a cognate in English. She is the Social Media Director for Her Campus at MSU, celebrating and uplifting members through various platforms. Bella is also the Secretary for the Creative Writing Club at MSU. She is a lover of art, poetry, literature, film, music, and nature. As a writer and artist, understanding and analyzing art as a reflection of society and a mode for social change is something that fascinates them.