This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I feel like Taylor Swift has two different kinds of fans. We’re all swifties, but some of us have loved her from the very beginning before she got mega-successful, and some love her just because, well, she’s Taylor Swift. It’s like me being a writer. I probably have people in my life that don’t think my writing is interesting right now, but when I do succeed with it, they may then start liking me just because I’ve made a name for myself. I feel like this is the case with Taylor because she’s so much more to me than your stereotypical singer. 

The reason I like Taylor Swift has nothing to do with physical attributes or even how well she can put on a performance; for me, it’ll always be about the lyrics. I think that’s why she has such a heavy fan-base – because she really is good at storytelling and connecting to listeners through lyrics.

The first myth I want to debunk is that Taylor Swift only writes romance songs. That couldn’t be further from the truth. Yeah, a lot are romance, but they’re about heartbreak or falling in love for the first time. They’re messages about being used, messages that need to be heard. She also has songs about family and friends and ones about her struggles with an eating disorder. Whenever I listen to her songs, I can close my eyes and picture my own struggles and use her songs to help get me through it.

Ultimately, I find her to be a great inspiration. She genuinely cares about her fans. I’ve never met her and I probably won’t, to be honest, but I can easily say she’s one of the reasons I’m so passionate about writing. 

Her writing is so strong and smart, and a lot of times people forget that. People forget she’s human just like us. My English classes have analyzed her work before. I feel like her work will be studied down the road. She uses so much figurative language and she has all these meanings wrapped in more meanings. Her writing is so unique. 

My point in writing this isn’t just to flatter Taylor or get people to like her. It’s to show that writing does heal people. When Taylor tells a story, people can empathize with her characters, like Betty and August. And while most people won’t change their beliefs, some do; Betty was dropped for a summer fling with August in Taylor’s “Folklore” songs, yet listeners sympathize with both girls as they understood both their perspectives. Writing has more power than I feel people give it credit for. 

Taylor has also done a lot for feminism in her field by re-releasing all of her albums. She’s very female-empowering. Some will argue she’s white and straight and beautiful and that’s why she’s so famous, and while those things probably played a role in her journey to success, look at what she’s done. Everyone needs a chance or a deal. But she’s the one writing the music, she’s the one working hard to maintain everything under such pressure. I do advocate for more diversity in the music industry. I love hearing different voices and I think fans are drawn to her voice, not to her looks. And that goes for anyone else. My personal other favorites are Alessia Cara, Selena Gomez, Adele, and many more. I love the uniqueness of Lana Del Rey and Billie Ellish and how they stick with their own styles. I could write another article on these other artists.

The reason Taylor Swift is my favorite is because she’s a writer. Not every artist writes their own music. She writes all her music and makes people feel things every time. Plus, she has so much influence and potential to help change the world and that’s a power not many have, a power that I trust her with. She’s pro-woman, pro-LGBTQ+, and I hope she continues to spread those kinds of messages. 

My all-time favorite Taylor song is “All Too Well,” and it’s because of the lyrics. “Casually cruel in the name of being honest” is my favorite line. The way she sings it, I get goosebumps. You can feel the pain in her voice as she sings. I did an entire analysis on that song and there’s so much there. The mention of fall means change, the color red is referenced in the entire album; red can mean passion, rage, and so many other different emotions. She writes with purpose, and that’s why a lot of people who grew up with her say that Taylor Swift moved them in some way. 

When you think of Taylor, don’t think of a pop star. Think of someone just like you who can write just like you can.

Sydney Savage is studying psychology and creative writing at Michigan State University. Part of her novel called "I Love You More Than Me" is published at Red Cedar Review. An excerpt of her other novel, “Just Let Me Go” is published at Outrageous Fortune magazine. At MSU, she’s an editor for Her Campus. While not writing, blogging, or reading, she’s part of the MSU Peer Body Project and gives presentations on the media's impact on eating disorders. She also works as a current Mental Health Assistant in Livingston County, and enjoys helping people in areas of mental health and body image. She love to write about these themes in her works and hopes to make them more open in the market. She took this mindset to the Arthouse Literary Agency, where she was a social media and editorial intern. You can read some of her works on her personal blog and website: https://sydsavage13.wixsite.com/sydwriter13 Her twitter is @realsydsavage13 and her writing insta is @sydwriter13