Who Should’ve Won the Best Costume Oscar? A Costume Analysis of Barbie

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

One can argue that part of the reason Barbie was such a cultural phenomenon this past year is because of its costuming. Barbiecore took the world by storm across social media platforms, the Halloween section at stores and in person at the movie theater for the respective showings. Yet, the actual costuming did more than just influence real-world clothing trends- it communicated the characters’ storylines whilst drawing from the doll’s extensive fashion lexicon. 

While costume designer Jacqueline Durran did recreate many Barbie doll outfits, she adapted a few signature characteristics to fit the film narrative. She began stereotypical Barbie in 1950s clothes–around the time when the Barbie doll was created. We first see stereotypical Barbie in the outfit Barbie launched in a black and white striped bathing suit. The decade was distinguished in the movie by wide brimmed sun hats, cropped jackets, gingham patterns and wasp waists, symbolizing Barbie’s naive assumptionthat Barbies have aided the liberation of real-life women and girls. While Barbie did revolutionize the kinds of toys little girls played with, the iconic doll has historically been more known for promoting female stereotypes than being inclusive.

As Barbie becomes enlightened throughout the film on what femalehood means,, stereotypical Barbie gradually transitions into more modern and human-like clothing. Towards the end of the film, Barbie speaks to Ruth Handler about what it means to be human. At the same time, the  massive hair pieces and neon colors that once dominated the costuming, exchanged  for a flowy, pastel yellow dress with Margot Robbie’s natural hair to style. Consequently, Barbie ends the movie wearing jeans, a beige blazer, and Birkenstocks. Additionally, the only time we see her revert back to 1950s clothing is when she initially returns to Barbieland with mother-daughter duo Gloria and Sasha, as Barbie believes everything in her life will be returning to normal.

Despite the main character’s costuming, Greta Gerwig’s period inspiration for the peripheral movie was the 1970s-80s. This was exemplified through Kens big fur trimmed coats, western motifs, and fringes. Overall, Durran aimed to refer to the well-known, coordinating Barbie outfit sets by having all the Barbies and Kens not only match each other, but always be dressed appropriately for the occasion with matching accessories. This idea was achieved from the beginning dance sequence costumes covered in glitter to the pink boiler suits for the revenge plot. To further highlight the interdepartmental work on the movie, Durran collaborated with set designer Sarah Greenwood to create a chart composed of three color combinations, and if the costume didn’t work with the color palette of the scene, it would be adjusted. 

So, does Barbie deserve the golden statue after allWho Should Win the Best Costume Oscar?: A Costume Analysis of Barbie?

East Lansing local Mia Varricchione recently joined HerCampus MSU as one of the chapter members, making this her first semester with the organization. As a freshman at Michigan State University majoring in Professional & Public Writing, she believed HerCampus would give her the opportunity to advance her skill. Besides HerCampus, to bolster her writing portfolio, Mia accepted an internship with the Flint Disability Network in Michigan, where she’ll compose articles and explore intersectionality around disabilities for the non-profit. Mia is also pursuing a second major in Public Policy as she aspires to work professionally under a non-profit in the future, advocating for gender equality and/or climate change awareness. Mia occupies her time mostly with her part-time job, school work and writing HerCampus articles, but when she can, she likes to crochet while watching tv or hanging out with friends.