This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Irankmsuwater has taken MSU by storm. In a matter of a few short weeks, the Instagram account gained over several hundred followers— but why? The account ranks water fountains across MSU. It has become so popular that MSU facilities have started taking this feedback to fix the lower-ranked water fountains across campus. The twist to this story, however, is that no one has any idea who is behind the account. I reached out to them via Instagram to ask them a few questions.

What is irankmsuwater? How and why was it created?

The irankMSUwater Instagram account is an account I made originally as a joke with a friend to imitate another water ranker from the University of Minnesota. At first, I just followed my friends and their friends in order to mess around and make their days slightly more enjoyable by posting a funny review of a water fountain on campus.

Why do you think it became popular so quickly?

I’m honestly not too sure. At first, I tried to pull off like a publicity stunt by saying things like “I’ll reveal my identity at 1k followers!” but I’m still not really sure. It could be because of how stupid the page is; sometimes after an exhausting day of studying, all you want to see is something funny— and you happen to see some person ranking water fountains at MSU.

What is the cause that you are trying to promote awareness for?

As I mentioned previously, I had no initial thought to raise awareness for any specific cause as this whole thing started as a joke, but after thinking about it a bit, I really wanted to support children all over the world who do not have access to clean water. I am in the process of creating some sort of fundraiser to help these children.

What plans do you have for the irankmsuwater club?

It seems like many people are in favor of actually making and going to an MSU water ranking club meeting, so it’s on my mind to make it happen! I was truly going to create a meeting when there was a lot of hype, but personally, I have been very, very busy, and I have no time this semester to make it happen— next semester though!

Anything else you would like to share?

I will reveal my identity at 1,000 followers so make sure to share and follow @irankMSUwater on Instagram! I haven’t been very active this past month, but I promise I’ll try my best to keep it up and rank more water fountains across campus! And thank you to Her Campus at MSU for featuring me!

To keep up with irankMSUwater, and discover their identity, follow them on Instagram!

Ananya is the President of Her Campus at Michigan State. She is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Health Promotion, and post-graduation, she will be attending medical school! If she's not studying, you can find her watching TikToks or Grey's Anatomy!
Taylor is an alumnus of Michigan State University's James Madison College and Honors college, holding a Bachelor of Arts in Social Relations and Policy and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She formerly served as the Editor-in-Chief and co-Campus Correspondent of MSU's chapter. She works in Lansing She's passionate about women's rights, smashing the patriarchy, and adding to her fuzzy sock collection.