Life > Academics

What’s in my Bag: Sophomore Edition

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Being a commuter student means that my backpack is my second home, accompanying me through long days on campus. Despite being slightly heavy, I cannot fathom my life without the items in my backpack. With these items, I can best succeed in my academics and survive my time on campus. Take a peek, and you might find a thing or two to upgrade your own backpack game!

Computer Sleeve:

1. Computer
  2. Computer Case

This seems self-explanatory, but I had forgotten to grab my computer a couple of times, when in a rush, and my life was significantly more challenging, to the point that I ended up rushing back to get it. Additionally, I keep a case (specifically a waterproof one!) just in case it rains because my backpack is not waterproof, unfortunately.

First Pocket:

1. Two Notebooks
  2. One Multi-Pocket Folder
  3. Planner

In the main pocket of my backpack, I keep some notebooks, as I like to take notes with pen and paper. If you use pens, the Walmart brand notebooks (with heavyweight paper) are a great option because your pens don’t bleed through the paper. A multi-pocket folder is convenient for keeping all your documents in one place and is less likely to misplace something. Moreover, I have my planner in the main pocket. I cannot function without it. This year, I am using the Papier Academic Planner, which I love so far!

Second Pocket:

1. Calculator
  2. Phone Charger
  3. Gum
  4. Sticky Notes
  5. Highlighters
  6. Mini Stapler
  7. Notecards

In the second pocket of my backpack are many more miscellaneous things. Some essentials are my calculator for my statistics class; phone charger because I seem to always need one; gum because who doesn’t need gum once in a while; sticky notes for notes, planning, and reminders; highlighters for my notes; mini stapler (best investment) so you don’t have to search for a stapler or wait in a long line just to staple your papers; notecards for studying and presentations. 

Small Front Pocket:

1. Pens 
  2. Pencils
  3. Chapstick
  4. Wallet
  5. Hand Sanitizer

In the smallest pocket, right in the front, I keep all my pens, which occupy most of the space. I recommend the Pentel Energy Gel Pens 0.7 mm if you want an excellent pen recommendation. They come in many good colors, write like butter, AND have minimal smearing. I keep some mechanical pencils (the sparkly Bic ones, to be precise), chapstick, my wallet, and a mini hand sanitizer. 

Side Pocket A:

1. Deodorant
  2. Feminine Products
  3. Advil

In the first side pocket, I keep an extra deodorant, which has saved me so many times I’ve lost count. I also keep feminine products in that pocket, so I am always prepared, along with Advil, just in case. 

Side Pocket B:

1. Computer Charger

All I keep in the other side pocket is my computer charger, which I repeatedly check to ensure that I bring it.

Side Sleeves:

1. Water Bottle
  2. Umbrella
  3. Claw Clip/Hair Ties

Lastly, in the side sleeves of my backpack, I keep my water bottle, which I take everywhere with me. I also keep my umbrella on the other side of my backpack. I have learned never to take your umbrella out of your bag, or you will need it one day and not have it (not fun!). An honorable mention is the claw clip I have clipped to the top handle of my backpack and the hair ties hanging on a clip clipped to one of my zippers. 

Considering everything, I keep many small things in my backpack that come in handy that I would only make it through the day with. Hopefully, you’ve discovered some inspiration for your own backpack essentials.

Macy Mueller is a transfer student who joined the Spartans this year and is currently a staff writer and recently joined the Eboard for the Events Team for the Her Campus chapter at MSU this fall semester. Mueller is a sophomore at Michigan State University studying marketing. Before Michigan State, Mueller was a marketing assistant for Western Michigan Libraries and is now a barista at a local coffee shop in Lansing. She hopes to continue to improve her writing skills while with Her Campus at MSU. Mueller’s favorite pastimes include checking out local bookstores, cheering on the Detroit Lions, trying weird latte flavor combos, and attempting to play guitar.