What They Didn’t Teach Me in High School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

When I was growing up, I was taught college is the end goal – the light at the end of the painfully long tunnel known as my education. However, in reality, I feel like I have learned more in a single semester than in my prior 13 years – and next to none of that learning has been done in a classroom. 

While I could tell you all about Journalism 108, joy-based news values or what the root of famine is according to my World Hunger and Food Security course, I have learned the most in a 132-square-foot, picture-plastered dorm room.

For example: how to build a home and a family on your own, and then how to not do it alone. 

My most valuable lessons have been learned a mile away from rolling desks, in the snow between my dining hall and dorm where a grand snowball fight was held between my roommate and I, or curled up on our dark green futon figuring out what it’s like to finally have sisters. 

High school didn’t teach me that I would one day learn to love winter again, or that you will find people who drop everything to find the pierogis you are craving. I was never told that a diploma was only the beginning and that those years of honors classes don’t mean half as much if you cannot find joy and pride in what you want to do for this world. 

High school may have tried to teach me how to be an adult, but college is doing a really good job of teaching me how to be a kid.

Cassidy Howard is in her second year at Michigan State, and her second semester with Her Campus. She is a social media assistant for the Michigan State Chapter. She is pursuing a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing. She loves writing in all forms and has had poetry shared in a global conference connected to the Corona Multimedia Showcase and was a member of the 2021 InsideOut Youth Performance Troupe, sponsored by Toyota, in addition to being able to perform some poetry on PBS’ Detroit Performs. More recently she has had poems shared in The State News and performed at MSU's 2023 FemFest. When not writing articles or working on her first published book of poetry she loves to listen to music and spend time with her cats- Thomas and Shadow.