What It’s Like Being a Certified Nursing Assistant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As a premedical student, the most important thing, in my opinion, is to get experience working with patients. This way, you not only get experience, but you will also find the help you need to solidify your decision because it truly shows you your potential future as a doctor, PA, nurse, or another healthcare professional. 

About six months ago, I decided I wanted to take a position as a CNA. Due to COVID, however, there were not many certification programs available near me. I decided to apply anyway and ended up getting the job. I have been working for about five months, and I wanted to share my experience for those interested in a healthcare profession. 

First of all, being a CNA is an extremely hard job. I work at a nursing home for Alhzeimer’s and dementia patients, so it is emotionally taxing to see what they go through. Additionally, it is physically taxing and I had to get stronger to get better at my job. We take care of patients’ basic needs, such as using: the restroom, bathing, eating, dressing, etc. This brings you extremely close to your residents. After I started this job, I really started to love them with my whole heart. If a resident passes away, you will definitely feel the pain, but you have to keep going because there are so many other residents who need you too. 

My job as a CNA has made me realize how little you have to do in order to make someone’s day. Bringing a resident an extra cup of coffee or an extra bag of chips brings a smile on their face, and it makes all the hard work and difficulties worth it. Overall, this is the hardest job I have ever had, but it has made me softer, more caring and humble. If you are considering becoming a CNA, go for itEven if it is just for a few months, it will teach you lessons that no medical school or nursing school will teach you. It has made me realize how important it is to pay attention to the little details — whether a resident wants their lights on or off at night, whether a resident likes to wear two sweaters or none, or whether a resident prefers coffee or orange juice in the morning. Being a CNA has shown me how human we all are, and going to work inspires me everyday.

My name is Esha Garg! I am a freshman at MSU studying nutritional sciences and am on a pre-medical field. In my free time, I love writing, doing yoga, and playing tennis.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.