This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Late last year, reports came out regarding three planned trials to develop a vaccine to prevent HIV, also known as human immunodeficiency virus. One of these trials, named HVTN 702, included 5,407 HIV negative men and women who were randomly assigned to receive a placebo or the vaccine. Unfortunately, this study came to an end after it was determined that this specific vaccine did not provide any significant advantages when it came to preventing HIV. According to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, out of the men and women who were part of the study, 129 people in the vaccine group and 123 people in the placebo group developed HIV infections. The two other trials are continuing on as of now. The only way to prevent HIV infection as of now is to take a drug called pre-exposure prophylaxis, or PrEP, which comes in the form of a pill and must be taken daily. Hopefully, researchers will come up with a more efficient and effective solution soon, as the HIV epidemic continues to grow across the globe. 

Ananya is the President of Her Campus at Michigan State. She is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Health Promotion, and post-graduation, she will be attending medical school! If she's not studying, you can find her watching TikToks or Grey's Anatomy!