Wellness

Understand the Moon Phases: A Wiccan / Spiritual Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

It’s October, and you know what that means. Spooky season is among us!🎃

For witches and other spiritually-minded people, this is our favorite time of year to explore our interests in magic and mysticism. If you are looking to be more spiritual yourself this October, a good place to start is understanding the phases of the moon.

Wiccans believe that the moon gives off powerful energy that can be utilized for our bodies, minds, and magic. Even if you’re skeptical of this idea, I believe the moon cycles can still be beneficial for providing a structure in your life to analyze your mood, energy levels, and productivity. 

Here are the phases of the moon and what they might mean for you spiritually!

New Moon

The new moon occurs about every 30 days when it is between the Earth and the Sun in its orbit cycle. This means the dark side of the moon is facing Earth and it is not visible. 

This represents the beginning of the cycle and is therefore symbolic for new beginnings, hope, starting over, and planning ahead. It is a still and peaceful energy. 

For magic practitioners, this is the time of the month to practice divination, introspection, and spells related to new beginnings in your life. 

For non-witches, you can celebrate this phase of the moon by setting intentions for the month or planning new projects, especially in the external and tangible aspects of your life. (The time for inner change will come later.)

Waxing Crescent Moon 

As the moon grows, its energy grows as well. As it begins to form a crescent shape, this is the time for planning, practicing the law of attraction, and putting our dreams into action.

Now is also a great time to challenge yourself by trying a new hobby or skill, and devoting your time to a project or goal. 

First Quarter Moon (Half Way Full)

The half full moon represents action, creativity, and power. This is a time of growth and change. 

Use the energy of the moon to push past obstacles and develop new strategies. Put the work into achieving your goals! 

Waxing Gibbous Moon 

At this point the moon is almost full, and only a crescent remains in the dark. This represents strength and stability.

Now is the time to tie up loose ends on your projects and align your growth with the bigger picture of your intentions. You may also want to plan ways to showcase your projects or developing skills.

Full Moon

When the moon is full, its energy is the most vibrant and accessible. Ask anyone in the medical field or public service sector and they will tell you people can be much stranger during the full moon. Witches believe this is because their body, mind, and souls are responding to the lunar power in the air. 

It is the best time for Witches to charge their spiritual tools (crystals, or tarot cards, for example) and perform powerful spells or potions. 

For non-magic practitioners and witches alike, the full moon provides the energy to celebrate your endeavors and harvest the rewards of your hard work. This is a good time to spend a little money you’ve been saving up to treat yourself, or cut loose for a night after two weeks of studying hard.

Because of the social and celebratory vibe of the full moon, it is also a great time of the month to host a fun gathering or coven meeting. 

Waning Gibbous Moon

After the full moon, the energy it gives off will begin to fade. As the moon shrinks by a crescent, take this time to reflect on your inner growth and emotional state. 

Consider where you are in your journey and how that is affecting your daily life. This is the phase representing not only transformation, but gratitude as well, so be sure to count the good things in your life just as importantly as the areas needing change.

Third Quarter Moon (Half Way New)

The moon is three quarters through its journey, providing a time of releasing and cleansing energy. This is when you will want to let go of negative energies, built up emotions, and bad habits that are holding you back. That also includes toxic people.

This is where the bulk of inner change occurs, but on an external level. This is also a good time to clean and declutter your home. 

Waning Crescent Moon

The waning crescent moon represents rest and restoration. This is the time of the month where you practice meditation, yoga, and other methods of peaceful self care. 

You are able to honor the hard work you’ve done and the growth you’ve made, and now you are able to nurture your efforts on all physical, mental, and spiritual levels. 

New Moon & Repeat!

The moon has returned to its shadowy position at the beginning of its orbit and the cycle is complete! Now is the time to update your goals, cast new spells and intentions, and replace any spiritual materials that have lost their energies (spell jars, for example.)

You will also want to rejuvenate your space and prepare for another productive moon cycle!

Thanks for reading, and good luck on your spiritual journey my witchy friends! And of course, Happy Halloween!

Hannah is studying English Creative Writing at Michigan State University. She is passionate about art, poetry, good food, and working toward a sustainabile future.