Top Five Most Badass Female Characters (Ranked in No Particular Order)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

1. Meg from Hercules

“I’m a big tough girl. I tie my own sandals and everything.” She isn’t like some of the other princesses; she refuses to be a damsel in distress. She is her OWN person and that quality is what makes her Meg.

2. Hermione Granger

Can’t forget Hermione. She is extremely smart, and if it weren’t for her, it’s very unlikely Harry Potter would’ve accomplished a lot of the things he did. She’s needed and she’s strong and kind too, going so far as to erase her parents’ memories of her just to protect them.

3. Katniss Everdeen

She is literally the girl on fire from Alicia Keys’ inspiring song about girl power. Where to even start with her? She volunteered herself and sacrificed her life for her sister. She takes a risk to help out Rue in the Hunger Games, recognizing aspects of her sister in Rue. She leads a rebellion and fights against the Capitol and all of its selfish schemes, and that takes courage.

4. Bea Schumacher

Bea is a character in a newer novel called, The One to Watch. I thoroughly enjoyed the book as Bea is a blogger who takes a stand against dating reality TV shows and their unrealistic promises for love. She also gets chosen to be the lead on Main Squeeze, which is very similar to being the Bachelorette in today’s world. Bea is a plus-sized model and I applaud the author because there needs to be more diversity in body sizes of characters. However, it shouldn’t be a big thing. Bea should be seen equally to other characters; her body size does not have anything to do with her being a kickass character. It’s the fact she had the confidence to speak against reality shows and speak out for many others.

5. Jane Eyre

She can be found in a classic. It’s my favorite classic, I love it! Jane is a feminist and I’ll let this quote speak for itself: “Women are supposed to be very calm generally: but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts, as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, to absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex.” There is a love interest in her story, but she does not need him. In fact, Rochester, her love interest and master of Thornfield hall, goes blind, and Jane marries him and metaphorically becomes his eyes. So the woman becomes the master in the end, the one to care for him.

The message: As a romance writer, it’s my goal to create and inspire others to follow me in writing stories with female characters where the importance and happy ending isn’t dependent on a man. Not only that, but I want to make stories different with diverse characters and different plotlines. Romances don’t have to be heterosexual, they don’t have to be cliche or happy at the end, etc. I LOVE Hallmark movies, but let’s start a new kind of Hallmark.

Sydney Savage is studying psychology and creative writing at Michigan State University. Part of her novel called "I Love You More Than Me" is published at Red Cedar Review. An excerpt of her other novel, “Just Let Me Go” is published at Outrageous Fortune magazine. At MSU, she’s an editor for Her Campus. While not writing, blogging, or reading, she’s part of the MSU Peer Body Project and gives presentations on the media's impact on eating disorders. She also works as a current Mental Health Assistant in Livingston County, and enjoys helping people in areas of mental health and body image. She love to write about these themes in her works and hopes to make them more open in the market. She took this mindset to the Arthouse Literary Agency, where she was a social media and editorial intern. You can read some of her works on her personal blog and website: https://sydsavage13.wixsite.com/sydwriter13 Her twitter is @realsydsavage13 and her writing insta is @sydwriter13