nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips On Building Your Resume and Having Fun While Doing It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Realizing everything you are expected to accomplish in your four or five years of college can be a bit of a headache. Deciding on a major that you love and feel you can succeed in is stressful enough. All of the extra advising appointments and meetings to make sure that you’re on track to graduate on time can make college just a little bit harder. Luckily there are some experiences in college that are not only an impressive addition to your resume, but may also add some excitement to your day.

1. Find an on-campus job

Don’t be fooled, most universities actually do offer positions besides the dreaded “cafeteria job.” Working with food isn’t for everyone, so play around on your college’s student employment website and you might be surprised to find that they’re looking for campus tour guides or ushers to stand around during basketball games.

2. Join student organizations

Going to a university like MSU can really pay off, especially if you’re looking for a club to join. With over 700 registered student organizations on campus, there’s something for everyone. Not only is it a fun way to meet new friends that share your interests, but it’s a great way to discover a passion that you may not have even known you had, and it’s an easy way to stand out in the workplace. Employers love seeing candidates who are involved in activities other than simply studying all day.

3. Volunteer

Make yourself feel good by helping others. Many honor societies and student organizations specifically dedicate their time to volunteer work. Volunteering boosts your resume by showing employers your involvement in the community and that you care to spend your time bettering it.

4. Get involved with undergraduate research

Many people think that they can’t find opportunities in research labs unless they have declared a major in a certain field. This is absolutely false. Let’s say you find psychology interesting, but don’t know whether or not you want to major in it. Worry not. Find your school’s psychology website, and scroll through the available research opportunities. Email some professors to announce your interest in the work that they’re doing and wait for a response. Undergraduate research is a great way to get a headstart in the  workforce, and it’ll teach you valuable skills. It can also be a lot of fun if you’re involved in a project of interest to you.

5. Study abroad

It’s like a vacation (+ the studying). Sign me up.

6. Land an internship

Sometimes internships seem daunting, but they don’t have to be. Internships are practically a necessity in today’s world, so if you have to do it, why not make it fun? Of course, if your major reflects your interests, it shouldn’t be too difficult to find something you’d enjoy doing. For example, if your dream is to become a journalist, check with the local, or perhaps university, newspaper. It’s likely they’re always looking for interns to help them out.

Bekkah Baldwin is a sophomore at Michigan State University and is still undeclared but thinking about majoring in Neuroscience or Psychology with a minor in German. She loves to write, loves her school, and loves the idea of giving young women an outlet for their voices to be heard. So HerCampus seemed like the perfect place for her. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys being the goofy person she is with her friends and watching Netflix (because who doesn't). Her favorite shows include Friends, Gilmore Girls, Parks and Rec and One Tree Hill. Reading is another hobby, as is writing the occasional FanFiction for some of her favorite 80s movies. During summer breaks she works at the movie theatre in her hometown, one of her favorite places in the world and finds herself eating popcorn and drinking slushies all day. She works as a tour guide at MSU and has never stopped being excited about having the opportunity to show off her awesome school. She's 50% German and tends to visit family in Europe once a year. She wants to study abroad for sure and travel the world long after her college days are over. College was a wonderful transition, a place where she instantly felt she belonged and found her best friends, and she can't wait to see what this year as part of the HerCampus team will bring. Go Green!
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian