This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Michigan State University has a huge campus that can be difficult to navigate, especially as a first-year student. With a full class schedule, adding a social life can be a little overwhelming. Here are the top five apps you need to download to help you this school year. 

The MSU Official Mobile App

Just search “MSU” in the app store, and it will be the top result. This is the official app of Michigan State and will give you all the information you need on your schedule, including the location of your classes, as well as a full map of campus. The app will tell you what parking lots are full and which dining halls are open and what they’re serving. You can also find events happening on campus, current news stories, and information about health and safety on campus. 

Transit

The Transit app is your best resource for navigating the CATA bus system on campus. Just type in the location you’re headed to and it will give you options on what routes to take. You can also track what time buses will be arriving and how far away they are. You can favorite certain locations, like your classes, instead of searching for them every time. 

SafeMSU

SafeMSU is Michigan State’s official safety app. The app includes a news feed that shows MSU alerts, buttons to call 911 and MSU police, a link to ASMSU Safe Ride, CATA’s after-hours services, a campus map, and support resources. The app also features “friend walk” which sends your location to a designated contact so they can monitor your location until you safely reach your destination. You can also report an anonymous tip to the MSU police. 

Pulse

Bright space Pulse is an app by the D2L Corporation. With Pulse, you can easily log in to your D2L account on your phone and receive course-related notifications like grade and assignment updates and announcements. There is an “upcoming” tab that allows you to visualize your work and deadlines for the week. This is a great way to keep updated with D2L without opening your laptop every hour. 

Spot On

Make parking at MSU a breeze by downloading Spot On, the official Michigan State parking app. Just add your license plate and a form of payment and you can pay for all pay-by-plate parking spots from the app. The app will send you notifications when your parking is close to expiring. You can also add time to your session right from your phone. 

Hopefully, these apps can help you in your transition to Michigan State. Here’s to a great school year and remember, Go Green!

Vivian Barrett is a student at Michigan State University majoring in journalism with a concentration in writing, reporting and editing and minoring in media photography and women's and gender studies. She is passionate about women's rights and mental health.