The Time I Went to a Concert for the First Time in Two Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The novel coronavirus took us by a storm. There were times where there were cancellations after cancellations for special events, including concerts. Huge names in music were going on tour like Harry Styles, The Weeknd, Taylor Swift, and practically everyone in between. 

Thankfully, with vaccines and more accessible testing, artists are able to finally play live for their fans. One of which is the legend, Billy Joel. 

I started becoming a Billy Joel fan pretty recently after my roommate started to influence me with her expertise in 70’s music. I fell in love soon after and when she came to me and asked if I wanted to go see him in concert on Sept. 10, it was the fastest ‘yes’ I’ve ever said in my life. 

I waited week after week for that Friday to roll around. I had my outfit planned for days. I could barely sleep the night before. I was so excited. 

Finally, we set out for Cincinnati, Ohio. What was supposed to be a four-and-a-half-hour drive, ended up being a six-hour drive down.  We kept getting hit with construction, backups, accidents, and rural roads stuck behind a semi-truck. 

After a very long, tiresome car ride, we finally made it to the Great American Ball Park where the concert would be taking place. I think that she and I were some of the youngest people there. Down the streets of Cincinnati were middle-aged men and women who were carrying sweaters and drinking beer. 

We were dressed in very 70’s-inspired clothes that fit the energy of the concert. Not to toot our own horn but we did get a few compliments throughout the course of the concert. 

Soon we made it to our seats and looking around practically every seat in the stadium was full, including the field. The rustle of people bursting with excitement echoed throughout the streets of Cincinnati. 

The lights turned off, music started playing, and there he was, Mr. Billy Joel himself, sitting at the piano playing one of his hits ‘Movin’ Out’. The stadium went wild with screams, whistles, and claps for the singer. 

He went through his setlist even letting the crowd choose between a couple of the songs. He sounded great, looked great, and gave a great performance. 

The encore was phenomenal; he played his most known hits like Uptown Girl, We Didn’t Start the Fire, and a cover of Brown Sugar by The Rolling Stones. 

The experience in itself was one that we will remember. Having been away from living music for so long, most people found a sense of comfort and excitement. 

I personally enjoyed seeing everyone dance and sing. It’s small moments like those that people missed out on during complete lockdown and high case numbers. 

I just hope that more and more people maintain diligence and take responsibility for their health and the health of others. 

I know that I really enjoyed being out in a stadium, dancing, and singing my head off. Let’s hope that we all can have special moments like that from now on and see our favorite artists live and in person. 

Gabriella is a sophomore at Michigan State University majoring in journalism. After she finishes her undergraduate degree, she hopes to take a year to travel and experience cultures before getting back into school for her master's degree. She hopes of one day becoming a food critic or a travel writer. She loves learning different recipes as well as staying on top of fashion's latest topics and pop culture moments.