the three proposals on michigan’s ballot: explained

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Whether you’re voting absentee from your dorm, heading back home or right here in East Lansing just a handful of miles from the capitol, there are some things on the ballot that may be a little unclear. While there’s state and local politicians to be voted on, there are also three measures that will show up, that, despite having been infiltrated by partisan language and aggressive television ads, still don’t fully and simply explain what’s going on.

Proposal 1: Term Limits

Put simply by The Bridge Michigan, this proposal puts in the state constitution to reduce the amount of time a politician can serve. Michigan legislators can currently serve for 14 years, and this proposal would reduce that to 12. If passed, this proposal would also mandate that politicians further disclose their finances, including gifts received from lobbyists. Supporters want this measure to increase transparency between politicians and the public, and opponents do not like the limits being put on terms.

Proposal 2: Voting rights

Advertisements for prop 2 have focused heavily on expanding voting access to the military overseas. Passage of this would allow overseas ballots to be counted as long as they are postmarked by Election Day. According to Ballotpedia, this constitutional amendment will change a lot for Michigan voters. Not only would people be able to vote up to nine days early, the state would fund a number of absentee dropboxes and pay postage for returning ballots. Michigan’s voter ID law would also be put in the state constitution. Voter ID laws are determined by individual states. Currently, Michigan requires a valid ID or a signed affidavit confirming you are who you say you are before voting. This proposal would write it into the constitution.

Proposal 3: Reproductive rights

In addition to Michigan, there are five other states with abortion-related measures on their ballots this year, writes Ballotpedia. In the wake of this summer’s Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade, this measure aims to protect reproductive rights in the state constitution. Currently, abortion is legal in Michigan. However, with Roe being overturned, it allows for a 1931 act for the state’s penal code to be put into place. This act fully outlaws abortion with no exceptions for rape and incest. The passage of proposal 3 would keep abortion legal in Michigan. The state would not be allowed to interfere until fetal viability (which Roe determined was 28 weeks), but it would still be legal after that to protect the health of the mother. Codifying this in Michigan law will also outlaw any measures put in place against abortion, such as the 1931 law. This election, abortion is an issue all over the ballot. Incumbent governor candidate Democrat Gretchen Whitmer has been vocal on her support of reproductive rights, while her opponent, Republican Tudor Dixon, is fully against abortion and supports the 1931 law, according to The Bridge Michigan.

Election Day is Tuesday, Nov. 8. These three proposals will be voted on and your vote will determine what is added to our state’s law.

Madison Reinhold is Marketing Director, Events Assistant and Staff Writer for Her Campus at MSU. She leads the Design Team which produces content for social media as well as merch and recruitment, in addition to planning team events and contributing articles to Her Campus. Madison is a senior studying journalism with a concentration in writing, reporting, and editing, with minors in women's and gender studies and history. She also interns for MSU's Center for Gender in Global Context, creating social media content, contributing to their newsletter, and editing their department magazine. She previously interned for local non-profit The Women's Center of Greater Lansing. Additionally, she works for MSU's College of Social Science Office of Student Success, providing supplemental instruction to students. In her precious free time, Madison is attempting to write her first novel, playing fetch with her dog, Hazel, or finding a new niche history book to obsess over.