The Must-Have Dorm Essentials As Told by College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I lived in the dorms for one year, and I had a great experience. It was so convenient to have a dining hall and my classes in the same building. Unfortunately, I know many students don’t feel the same way about their dorm experience. I asked college students what the most essential thing in their dorm rooms was, and here are their answers:

Shower Shoes

This was the most common answer. Whether you’re staying in a suite  or community-style bathroom, these are a necessity. No matter what, you’re sharing a shower with other people, so make sure to protect yourself and others.

Water Filter and Water Bottle

Campus water is safe to drink, but it sure isn’t the tastiest. Before heading to the dorms, make sure to grab a water filter. They range in sizes, colors, and prices, so find one that works best for you. A good water bottle can last for years if treated right. Keep one on the go with you at all times.

10ft Phone Charger and Extension Cords

There will not be many accessible outlets in your dorm room, so invest in a long phone charger and some good extension cords. Trust me, it will feel great to turn over in bed and not have to worry about the wire being too short.

Fans

It will get hot in your dorm room, so make sure to invest in a fan. Even if you don’t run it constantly, it’s great white noise when you try to sleep.

First Aid Kit

Whether you live in a dorm, an apartment, or a house, everyone should have a first aid kit. You never know when you’ll need medicine, bandages, or burn remedies, so make a customized box with essentials.

Simple Cleaning Supplies

You might not need a vacuum, but you should have a cleaning spray. Keep Clorox wipes on hand to disinfect your space. I would also recommend a broom and dustpan for sweeping up messes. If you have dishes or mugs, make sure to grab a bottle of dish soap.

Hopefully this list helps when planning for your dorm adventure. Happy packing!

A Michigan State University student by day, an 8-hour sleeper by night Aditi would best describe herself as a "rather simple enigma." As she embarks on her college journey, Aditi cherishes the simple things in life: a cup of coffee, some pastel post-it notes, and her ever-growing succulent.