This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The language of flowers was prevalent during the Victorian Age to allow people the ability to discreetly express their emotions. It allowed for the understanding of unspoken words through an entirely visual dialect: the art medium of flowers. For Valentine’s Day, I’ve compiled a list of some of my favorite flowers to give to loved ones.

1. Gardenia

This beautiful, snow-white flower represents not only secret love but also innocent longing. Its alluring cascade of ivory petals displays a meaning of purity and genuine love. In history, it has been used to communicate hidden affection toward another. If you’re currently pining after someone in your life, it might be a good idea to confess your feelings through a flower that silently says, “you’re lovely.”

2. Lily of the Valley

From Victorian times, this bell-shaped flower symbolizes rebirth and a “return to happiness.” It was said that this petite flower is a sign of protection, something with the ability to ward off negative energy. To gift this to someone would be sending them a positive omen of good luck and success. If you have someone you feel needs uplifting, these dainty flowers would be a beaming beacon. 

3. Lilac

Because it blooms so early in the spring, this pale purple bloom is seen as a symbol of beginning and first love. Throughout history, it has been heavily associated with the idea of romance and reigniting first loves. Although it holds a more woeful meaning of old or lost loves, people have also interpreted the flower as representing life after loss. If you and your significant other are each other’s first loves, showering them with lilacs would be the perfect way to remind yourselves of the initial spark.

4. Baby’s Breath

Known to survive through unpleasant conditions, these mini-blossoms represent everlasting love. Although they look delicate, they can thrive in cold temperatures and resist periods of dryness. The addition of these mini blossoms would immediately elevate any bouquet; while the other flowers may perish, these will withstand harsh environments, showing the receiver how durable your love for them is. 

5. Daffodil

This brightly hued flower comes from the Greek story of Narcissus, which tells a tale of selfishness. Although it may derive from a negative history, this flower has shifted its narrative to a form of self love. It blooms right after winter and delivers spring to us, showing a symbol of power and strength. For this Valentine’s Day, show yourself self love by getting daffodils, something that represents overcoming obstacles and periods of prosperity. 

There are so many different meanings that flowers convey, and each one is unique to their own type. This language is an incredibly diverse form of communication, ranging from beautiful to sorrowful. If you have a favorite flower, consider researching the history and symbolism behind it!

Tracy Li is in her fourth year at Michigan State University, majoring in Mathematics and Secondary Education. She is a social media assistant for the Michigan State chapter. While her major is not aligned with writing, she has a deep passion for it, particularly in the form of creative writing. In her spare time, she enjoys crocheting, painting, and embroidering.