This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The 12 combo exchanges per week given to each MSU student on their meal plan are often considered the best food options on campus. Redeemable at on-campus restaurants such as Panera, Starbucks, and Panda Express, these combos can also be used at Sparty’s, small convenience stores located across campus and named for Michigan State’s mascot. Large variations exist across the 13 Sparty’s locations on campus, and no two Sparty’s are the same. Here are my top five Sparty’s locations for you to visit: 

5. Snyder-Phillips Hall

This mid-sized Sparty’s has an adequate, although not outstanding, selection of sides and meals. Located on the Snyder side of the building, it opens onto a large common area, making it a great study spot or place to meet up with friends. 

4. Hannah Admin Building

Often overlooked, this mini Sparty’s is tucked away on the second floor of the administration building. Never crowded, it offers an excellent quiet place to relax or study while snacking, and it has a similar vibe to the Owen dining hall. The only downside is that it is only open for short hours on weekdays.

3. Holden Hall

This is a classic Sparty’s, with the perfect variety of items available for purchase. While it is located on the edge of campus, it receives rave reviews from those who frequent it. In fact, one student, who requested to remain anonymous, attested to choosing to live in Holden Hall simply because of the Sparty’s. They cited “top-tier” workers and frequent new products, and stating “I’ve never seen the shelves bare.”

2.1855 Place

The apartments at 1855 Place hosts the Sparty’s Market, which offers the combo options of other Sparty’s in addition to a variety of items from snacks and school supplies to household goods available for purchase individually – using either Spartan Cash or regular money. It is also home to a grill, serving breakfast, lunch, and a pub menu. 

1.Case Hall 

The most popular Sparty’s is located in North Case Hall. This Sparty’s hosts an unmatched candy and drink selection. Some items, such as Sparkling Ice drinks, are very difficult to find anywhere else on campus. While it is open until 11 p.m. daily, the shelves are often vacant as it reaches late evening.  

At MSU, every on-campus student who purchases a meal plan is given 12 combos to use per week, with the count resetting every Saturday night. The excellent thing about Sparty’s is that they stock a large selection of non-perishable food items, allowing students to stock up and ensure they are getting the most out of their meal plan. Additionally, food collection boxes are often located around Sparty’s, making it easy for students to donate extra food products to those in need.

Eleanor Pugh is a freshman majoring in Russian, Anthropology, and Comparative Cultures and Politics with a minor in Climate Science at Michigan State University. She is a cat person and enjoys playing card games and visiting art museums. Originally from Washington, DC, she hopes to live abroad one day.