The Best Movies to Watch During Women’s History Month!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Women’s History Month takes place every March. It’s basically a month to celebrate and reflect on women and their accomplishments! It’s a great time to start the work of incorporating media surrounding women and written/directed by women. I’ve compiled a pretty long list of movies that I love in general that you should definitely see.

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

This is one of my all-time favorite movies! It focuses on a strong, independent female lead who, when getting into a relationship, her entire personality doesn’t change. So, IF YOU HAVEN’T, GO SEE THIS RIGHT NOW. Also, Heath Ledger is in this soooo…

Little Women (1994)

This is the best Little Women adaptation out of the three main ones, and I will forever stand by that. The newest one is good (I GUESS), but my girl Winona Ryder stays superior. 

Hidden Figures (2016)

When you think of amazing feminist movies to watch, you 100% need to, if you don’t already, think of Hidden Figures as one of the first. The movie follows the true story of three Black women at NASA that were the brains behind one of the most amazing pieces in history: launching an astronaut into orbit. One of my favorite scenes that highlights even the simplest of issues we deal with is one of the main characters has to travel 40+ minutes to go to the bathroom. There were none for women, specifically Black women (you know, segregation), in the area where she worked since the field was dominated by almost only men.

The Joy Luck Club (1993)

Based on the novel of the same name by Amy Tan, this movie follows a group of four Chinese women who regularly meet to trade stories about their families and growing up as first-gen Chinese-American women. It also describes the rocky relationships that each of them have with their mothers. I remember reading this novel back in like fifth or sixth grade and just crying the entire time. It’s so moving and heartbreaking. 

A League of Their Own (1992)

WHAT A MOVIE THIS IS! A League of Their Own takes place as the male athletes are shoved into World War II. Because of both capitalism and the want to make things lighter despite the times, the baseball world decides to take talented women and “let” them play baseball professionally. Geena Davis, Madonna, Tom Hanks, Rosie O’Donnell, Lori Petty, Anne Ramsay, and more star in this heartwarming film.

Legally Blonde (2001)

Honestly, if you haven’t seen this yet you’ve definitely been living under a rock FOR SURE. We’ve got Reese Witherspoon. That’s all you need to know. If, for some reason, you need to know more, it is focused on reversing the “dumb Blonde” narrative with Elle Woods, played by Witherspoon, who gets into Harvard Law and kills it there. 

Captain Marvel (2019)

If you’ve somehow avoided all the Marvel and MCU craze since 2008 with Iron Man, I’m shocked, proud, and concerned. If not, then you definitely already know that Captain Marvel was the first Marvel movie to completely center around a strong woman. Now, there’s a billion complaints about Brie Larson and her character, but most of these are just based on subconscious, or not, sexism. If Tony Stark (Iron Man’s civilian name) can be super sarcastic and confident, Captain Marvel should be able to too without being called “arrogant”, “bitchy”, or whatever else.

Brave (2012)

THE not-Disney, Disney movie (next to Anastaisa, of course). Brave follows the daughter of a Scottish king who is super skilled in archery; however, her mother wants her to marry. So… instead of having a conversation about it, Merida decides to find a witch (naturally) who twists Merida’s words and turns her mother into a bear. As weird as that plot sounds it is SO GOOD. The movie talks a lot about duty, responsibility, courage, and bears. Well, that last one is a joke. Side note, this movie came out TEN YEARS ago, call me old or something. 

Becoming Jane (2007)

Anne Hathaway. 

Okay, to add more, this movie follows Anne Hathaway (!!) as Jane Austen during her life as she wished to be a novelist and not marry a wealthy old man.

The Hunger Games (2012)

Honestly, if you didn’t have a YA or Hunger Games phase in middle school, I really envy you. Like, if you knew me back then, no you didn’t. Basically, this movie series, based on the trilogy, follows Katniss Everdeen in a dystopian world where the country’s 12 “districts” (which are basically castes but literally separated) are to compete against one another every year. So, a boy and a girl from each district are drafted into this competition. Oh, the best part? They have to literally murder each other until only one is left. OH, also, they are all literal children (aged 12-18). Katniss is a badass who will make you want to learn how to shoot a bow and also wear your hair in a braid for the rest of eternity.

Clueless (1995)

My favorite. This movie is iconic. Is this an inherently feminist movie? No. But, is this movie about a beautiful and strong female character that grows, learns, and becomes even better? You betcha. Also, Paul Rudd.

On the Basis of Sex (2018)

Following Ruth Bader Ginsburg (RBG), On the Basis of Sex describes a “struggling atterney and new mother who faces adversity and numerous obstacles in her fight for equal rights” (ah, yes, straight from the Google description). It’s a biopic of RBG that is beautiful, moving, and heartbreaking all the same time – especially when you think about how long ago it takes place and how true it still is today.

The Color Purple (1985)

The Color Purple was written by Alice Walker, which was then produced into a film, spans 40 years of the life of a Black woman in the South, Celie, who endured wayyy too much abuse. The movie and novel are incredibly difficult and triggering to read, so try to be in a good headspace and be aware of that before consuming either media.

Booksmart (2019)

Straight from Wikipedia, Booksmart follows two high school seniors, Amy and Molly, who are your stereotypical “smart” kids that are highly focused on school and not anything else, especially the social scene. “On the eve of graduation, Molly confronts classmates insulting her bookishness, telling them she got into Yale, but they claim that, despite their partying, they got into prestigious colleges or job recruitments.” After this, Molly angrily tells Amy that they should’ve enjoyed high school more, and they attempt to “do” high school in what time they have before a summer trip abroad – so one day. It’s a story of friendship, sexuality, love, growing up, and high school so you already know it’s amazing

Overall, this is hardly a complete list of movies surrounding women and their stories, so you should definitely take the time this March to start watching these movies! Here are a few more articles with some other amazing feminist movies (some of which I’ve included in this article): one, two, and three. Remember that March should not be the only month that you are focusing on women; you should be doing so EVERY MONTH!

Kattiah Richardson (she/they) is currently a student at Michigan State University double majoring in both English and Women's and Gender Studies with a double minor in Jewish Studies and in LGBTQ+ and Sexuality Studies with the hopes of becoming a professor. They are a part of many student organizations on campus: Planned Parenthood Generation Action (President), We are Queens (Vice President), Spartans for Israel (Liberal Outreach Chair), and, of course, Her Campus MSU (Staff Writer and Editor)! Kattiah is also a Campus Trendsetter through Her Campus and a Resident Assistant at their campus. Aside from university-related activities, they love learning more about their faith in Judaism, activism, reading, writing, dancing, babysitting, spending time with family, and (badly) singing!