Style > Fashion

Surviving A Midwest Winter: Cute & Cozy Winter Gear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Winter is officially here, which means it’s time for hot chocolate, skiing, and cold weather. Being from the Midwest and spending a majority of my year in Michigan, I’ve had my fair share of ice-cold winters. The key to enjoying the beauty of winter is bundling up. Over the years, I’ve found winter staples that are both are cute and cozy.

Accessories

Personally, the first thing that always freezes are my toes or ears. Thermal socks or Smartwool ski socks are my go-tos for keeping my feet warm. Fleece ear warmers are also a game changer. They keeps your ears warm and messes your hair up less than a hat would. The best part about these accessories is that there are an endless number of styles and colors to choose from.

Tops

Layering is necessary in order to stay warm; in the winter having at lease one base layer is crucial. A base layer needs to be moisture-wicking and formfitting to keep the heat in. I’m a big fan of Under Armour’s ColdGear base layer collection and Smartwool base layers. 

For days when you’re running out the door, it’s not too chilly, or you’re going to be active, a jacket is necessary. Typically I go for Columbia or North Face jackets because of the quality and styles. However, this year my favorite jacket is from Moosejaw. The Moosejaw Women’s Hooded Insulated Jacket has plenty of pockets to hold my stuff, keeps me warm, and even has a bottle opener in the inside pocket!

On the days where snow is falling and there’s a layer of ice everywhere, you need a parka. When searching for a parka, I make sure it’s hooded, has pockets, is water resistant or waterproof, and has both a top and bottom zipper. My current parka is from North Face and I never realized how much I needed it until I spent my winters in Michigan walking around campus.

Bottoms

Many people tend to disregard the importance of having warm leggings, joggers, and pants. Fleece lined leggings are a winter closet staple that can be used as a base layer or worn on their own. I also love fleece joggers because of the looser fit on days you’re just lounging around. In general, lined – specifically fleece lined – items will be your best bet. 

When it comes to pants, I look for similar qualities of what I want in a parka: pockets, water resistant or waterproof, preferably has pockets with zippers, and lined. In addition to every-day pants, snow pants are a must have, too. I look for snow pants that are waterproof and have various pockets. Columbia and Arctix are typically what I get. If you’re skiing or snowboarding, make sure to see if there’s a flap at the bottom that unzips or folds up.

Shoes

Having shoes for winter is vital to staying warm; a good shoe could be the difference between having soggy socks or toasty toes. Personally, I love the brand Bearpaw because they have an endless selection that’s both stylish and practical. It is important to note the difference between a casual boot and one you’d wear in the snow. A good snow boot needs to be waterproof and insulated.

At the end of the day, the difference between having a good winter and great winter in the Midwest is if you’re able to stay warm. By having the right items in your winter wardrobe, you can have a great winter while still looking stylish!

Leah Lindemeyer was formerly the Community Outreach Director and an editor for Her Campus as MSU. She helped HCMSU remain active in the community and give back to East Lansing. Lindemeyer graduated from Michigan State University in spring of 2024 with a bachelor's degree in communication and minors in media photography, public relations, and global studies. After graduation, she will go to Ohio State for her Master's in communication. Lindemeyer wrote and edited for her high school's journalism program for all four years she attended. For her work, she earned the James L. McCann "Excellence in Journalism" Award two years in a row. In her free time, Lindemeyer enjoys water skiing, traveling, watching romantic comedies, and taking photos.