This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

My latest adventure abroad was one filled with culture, history, food, and good times. At the beginning of August, I hopped on a plane and headed to Israel. Traveling to Israel can seem intimidating, but if you know what to expect, you can have an amazing and vibrant experience. Thanks to advice I had from previous travels and my personal trips abroad, I was able to make the most of my visit. If you’re interested in traveling to Israel – particularly in the summer months – these tips are for you! 

Plane Ride

You need to be strategic when preparing for the long plane ride. Many planes provide a face mask and neck pillow for long rides, but I recommend getting your own. Having a nice satin or silk sleep mask along with a solid neck pillow goes a long way in making your trip more restful. Also, always dress in layers to prepare for being both hot or cold on the plane. If you’re a light sleeper, investing in some earplugs or noise canceling headphones might be helpful to ensure you can tune out any crying babies or loud conversations. One item I wish I’d had before traveling was an AirFly. You’re able to plug the AirFly into the headphone jack of your personal screen on the plane and wirelessly connect to your own headphones instead of using the cheap ones provided. 

The Essentials 

There are some items that are absolutely essential for me when traveling. On the top of the list are portable chargers, specifically Anker brand, and a universal travel adapter. Those two items ensure I’m never left somewhere unable to charge my phone. Another item I always have is TSA approved travel locks to make sure nothing gets taken out of my suitcase or bag. Also, instead of a regular towel, I recommend a quick dry towel. 

What To Wear

Figuring out what to wear on a trip is always my biggest problem that I solve the night before I head to the airport. During the summer months in Israel, it’s smart to plan for heat. Definitely bring a hat and sunglasses to guard yourself from the sun. Also, wear flowy clothes made of breathable fabrics like cotton or linen. I brought a mixture of clothes meant for going out, walking around, and visiting religious sites. For going out, I wore jeans and a nicer top, dress, or matching set. During the day, it was hot so my go-to for walking around was basic tops and flowy pants or athletic shorts and skirts. It is important to be conscientious of if there are certain expectations for how to dress where you go. For example, at some religious sites the expectation is for men to have their knees covered and for women’s ankles to be covered. I found that Natural Life had the perfect cute and breathable pants and skirts. 

Preparing for the Dead Sea

I was heavily warned about the Dead Sea before going, which definitely helped make my experience better. The salt in the Dead Sea makes it a lot easier to float but it also makes cuts sting. For this reason, it’s important not to shave at least three days before going into the Dead Sea. Furthermore, make sure to thoroughly rinse off afterwards or if you get water on your face or in your mouth. Besides rinsing off, you also need to make sure to bring water to drink so you don’t get dehydrated. Or, if you’d prefer, you can stop by at one of the places on-site for a refreshing beverage afterwards. Besides being prepared for the saltiness, you also need to be prepared for the walk down to the water. Bring water shoes or flip flops so you can avoid hurting your feet on hot and uneven ground. 

Sight Recommendations

In each of the four quarters of the Old City of Jerusalem are different sites, architecture, and places to eat. It’s a vibrant area that allows for everything from shopping to visiting holy sites. Another one of my favorite places in Jerusalem is Mahane Yehuda Market (or The Shuk.) During the day, vendors sell mouthwatering food, and at night it becomes a lively place to hang out. Jaffa Port has an interesting history and beautiful sites. Also, catching a stunning sunset on a beach, such ase Bograshov beach, is a must!

Cuisine Recommendations

When in Israel, you have to try the falafel, shakshuka, and shawarma. Those foods, along with hummus, were key diet staples when I was in Israel. Also, it is important to note that often meat and dairy are not within the same meals. As for dessert, chocolate rugelach is a light and delicious crescent-rolled pastry. The candy stands at the shuk are also a great place for a treat. 

Hebrew Words

Hewbrew is a hard language to learn, but it’s always good to learn a few words and phrases in the native language of where you’re visiting. 

• Shalom = hello/good bye/ peace (usually used as a greeting)
  • Boker Tov = Good Morning
  • Boker Oar = Morning Light (response to Boker Tov)
  • Erev Tov = Good Evening
  • Todah = Thank You
  • Angleet = English

These are just a few tips to help you on your trip to Israel! When traveling, make sure to be aware and have a backup plan. If you go into your trip prepared and open-minded, you’ll be set to have an amazing time!

Leah Lindemeyer was formerly the Community Outreach Director and an editor for Her Campus as MSU. She helped HCMSU remain active in the community and give back to East Lansing. Lindemeyer graduated from Michigan State University in spring of 2024 with a bachelor's degree in communication and minors in media photography, public relations, and global studies. After graduation, she will go to Ohio State for her Master's in communication. Lindemeyer wrote and edited for her high school's journalism program for all four years she attended. For her work, she earned the James L. McCann "Excellence in Journalism" Award two years in a row. In her free time, Lindemeyer enjoys water skiing, traveling, watching romantic comedies, and taking photos.