Summer Staples to Get You Through Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

While summer break may be only a couple weeks away, it feels like there’s a mountain of things to do between now and freedom. In order to keep calm and carry on, here are some happy summer thoughts to help you finish the year on a positive note.

1. Ice cream

Instead of thinking about the huge presentation that counts for half your grade, think about the endless amounts of ice cream you’ll be eating this sunny summer! After some studying, treat yo self to a scoop or two at the MSU Dairy Store and think some happy, sugary thoughts.

2. Beaches

Now that the weather seems to be improving, trot outside with a blanket and lie out on the grass. It may not be sand, but if you close your eyes, it’s almost like hanging out lakeside without a care in the world.

3. Sleep

Think about how magical it’s going to be when instead of relying on coffee and Red Bull to get you through the week, you’ll be getting more sleep than you’ve gotten all semester! A couple more weeks and you can doze all day with zero consequences.

4. Vacations

Now that we’re knee-deep in papers and projects, spring break seems like it was a lifetime ago. But don’t worry… summer is the time for taking weekend trips to the Great Lakes and jetting off to new places just because we can. Think about the days you’ll spend lounging on different beaches or exploring new cities, instead of the days you’ve spent cramming for a class you only went to three times all semester.

5. Friends and family

Finals week is a very lonely time. Instead of thinking about staring at your textbooks, think about the amazing summer memories that are waiting for you on the other side of finals with all the people you love. Things may seem hard now, but the time we spend with our friends and family will always make it seem easier.

Taylor is an alumnus of Michigan State University's James Madison College and Honors college, holding a Bachelor of Arts in Social Relations and Policy and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She formerly served as the Editor-in-Chief and co-Campus Correspondent of MSU's chapter. She works in Lansing She's passionate about women's rights, smashing the patriarchy, and adding to her fuzzy sock collection.
Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.