Starbucks Reserve Coffee
Starbucks Reserve Coffee
Annamarie Schutt
Life > Experiences

Starbucks Reserve: Is It Worth Your Money?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Recently, I took a trip to Chicago to celebrate my friend’s birthday. One of the places on our must-visit list was the Starbucks Reserve, a four-level Starbucks that sells everything from unique merchandise to limited-edition food and drinks. It was a long line to get in, but once my friends and I actually got inside we were overwhelmed with all the offerings that this Reserve had. The first level has merchandise and baked goods, the second level is where you find actual meals and sit-down places, the third level offers experimental coffee for the bold coffee drinkers, and the fourth level has a bar to sit and chat with your friends. 

Starting with the First Level

My friends and I quickly noticed how expensive everything was; a box of chocolates was close to $40 but they made it clear that every product was designed with immaculate care and specially designed. It was also very pleasing to look at as the workers showed you how Starbucks coffee is made. In my opinion, unless you are buying a special gift for a friend that you want to impress, the merchandise is not worth the money.

Up to the Second Level

The second level is where most visitors immediately go to. There are tons of options for entrees, ranging from pasta to salads, they also pride themselves in their limited edition drinks, such as their strawberry balsamic spritz and the cucumber mint tonic. The prices are what you expect, similar to the ones at their store, but with bigger serving sizes and more options to choose from, The second level was my favorite floor and it will feel like home to any foodie or coffee lover. 

For the Bold: The Third Level

This floor has the strongest coffee smell, but for those who do not like coffee, fear not. They offer nitro-infused gelato to experiment with. This floor is also on the pricey side, but I agree with the pricing they chose, as visitors are paying for the experimenting, not the actual beverages. My friends and I got the siphon flight, which is a coffee beverage that they cook and experiment in front of you. It came to a whopping twenty-two dollars, which is a lot of money to spend on a coffee drink. If you are not a fan of gelato or coffee, I would skip purchases on this floor. 

The Final Floor

The top floor is more for people who have plans to stay for a long time, they serve alcoholic drinks inspired by their popular menu items and even offer rooftop seating. It is the typical price for cocktails but if you plan to stay at the Reserve for a while, the top floor is a must. 

Overall Experience

This is every coffee lover’s dream vacation, but you do not need to be a coffee drinker to enjoy your time here. However, if you are going in with the intention to buy a gift for a friend or family member, I would be prepared to spend over thirty dollars on a small gift. 

Hello! My name is Greta Shaw and I am currently a sophomore attending Broad College of Business at Michigan State University. I plan on going into marketing and to use my Chinese communication skills to work internationally.