Life > Experiences

Spring Break Essentials: Your Ultimate Packing List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As I walk through campus in cold Michigan, I can’t help but think of spring break being right around the corner. Personally, I’m headed to warmth, but regardless of your destination, having a thorough plan and packing list are essential to ensure a seamless and enjoyable break. Here are my spring break essentials that have served me well throughout the various trips I’ve taken over the years. 

Packing

The initial challenge is deciding what to pack in. I love the Osprey Fairview 55 Travel Pack, since it has a detachable daypack and can be a carry-on for most planes. Organization is achieved by using packing cubes to sort your items. I also recommend having a waterproof bag for wet clothes or suits. A hanging jewelry organizer keeps me from losing or ruining my jewelry, while occasionally doubling as a makeup carrier when I want to forgo my toiletry bag. 

Toiletries

When I have the space, I tend to stuff my hanging toiletry bag full of my products. Sunscreen is the first item I always place in my bag, followed by my makeup and other skincare essentials.  Makeup wise, I’m a big fan of Mineral Fusion 3-in-1 color sticks. When it comes to eye makeup, a good mascara and a little eyeshadow go a long way. I recommend Hella Thicc Volumizing Mascara by Fenty Beauty and COVERGIRL Eyeshadow palettes. Crucial skincare items, such as Mighty Patches and Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water, complete the lineup.

Traveling

Overcoming sleep deprivation is one of the biggest struggles I face when traveling from place to place. Personally, I always bring a silk eye mask, neck pillow, and earbuds to create the optimal sleeping environment. Another struggle when traveling is finding a place to charge your electronics. While I usually carry at least one small portable ANKER charger, if on a car trip, the Anker 521 Portable Power Station is bulky but long-lasting. Another aspect to consider is protecting your valuables with a wallet chain and RFID-blocking wallet. A collapsible water bottle is also great to have, since it’s lightweight and reduces space. 

And Don’t Forget….

In the midst of packing, the one item I always forget to bring is sunglasses! Save yourself the trouble of trying to find the perfect pair in the gift shop and remember to pack them! Microfiber towels also serve me well because they take up minimal space and dry quickly. Essential to prepare for many possible citations is a First-Aid kit with Nuun Sport Electrolyte tablets to ward off headaches. Whether it is new or old, a camera is a wonderful way to capture memories. Additionally, to maintain the spring break vibes, a waterproof speaker like the Altec Lansing HydraJolt is a good way to keep the party going.

Determining the perfect items to pack may seem impossible while tossing items across the room and deliberating what to bring. However, as you go on your spring break adventure, let my spring break essentials guide you towards having everything necessary for a smooth and thrilling spring break. Safe travels!

Leah Lindemeyer was formerly the Community Outreach Director and an editor for Her Campus as MSU. She helped HCMSU remain active in the community and give back to East Lansing. Lindemeyer graduated from Michigan State University in spring of 2024 with a bachelor's degree in communication and minors in media photography, public relations, and global studies. After graduation, she will go to Ohio State for her Master's in communication. Lindemeyer wrote and edited for her high school's journalism program for all four years she attended. For her work, she earned the James L. McCann "Excellence in Journalism" Award two years in a row. In her free time, Lindemeyer enjoys water skiing, traveling, watching romantic comedies, and taking photos.