Six Summer Reads for Hot Girl Summer 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The sun’s out, school is ending, and your summer clothes are calling. It’s time to pick up a book or two and go enjoy that #HotGirlSummer2022. Here are six summer reads for making the most of your summer relaxation.

1. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Ann Brashares

Hot Girl Summer isn’t complete without this series. It’s the iconic summer read for anyone looking to reconnect to themselves, full of emotion and growing pains. Many people are familiar with the first and fourth books, which were the foundation for the movie series. But books 4.5 and 5 largely escaped public notice, rounding out the Sisterhood series in an emotional and captivating way. If you read one thing this summer, make it the Sisterhood Series.

2. Big Summer, Jennifer Weiner

Goodreads calls this book “A sparkling novel about female friendship,” from Jennifer Weiner, the queen of summer reads. Daphne’s ex-best friend walks back into her life after six years of no communication and has a big favor to ask, leading Daphne on a wild adventure on Cape Cod. Full of wit and emotion, this story is a great introduction to Weiner’s writing style.

3. My Heart Is A Chainsaw, Stephen Graham Jones

If you’re looking for a chilling start to your Hot Girl Summer, look no further than this slasher story, which is the first of The Lake Witch Trilogy. Protagonist Jade Daniels and the events she witnesses in her hometown of Proofrock, Idaho are hard to stomach, but if you’re craving a final girl read set in the heat of summer, this is the one for you. But be warned, this one isn’t for the faint of heart.

4. Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid

If you’re embracing your Summer of Love style and music this summer, this book is the perfect accompaniment. This fictional biography follows Daisy Jones, whose career story is reminiscent of that of Stevie Nicks or The Beach Boys. The fashion, language, and emotionality of this book are all perfect for kick-starting Hot Girl Summer, but if it doesn’t quite appeal, Reid’s other novel Malibu Rising also fits the bill for summer reading.

5. Run Rose Run, Dolly Parton and James Patterson

Did you have the Dolly Parton x James Patterson collaboration on your 2022 bingo card? No? Well, the pairing doesn’t disappoint in this thriller about a young singing star on the run from her past, headed to Nashville to claim her destiny. If you’re looking for a summer read with a thrilling twist, look no further.

6. Something Wilder, Christina Lauren

As one of the most-anticipated summer releases of 2022, Something Wilder promises all of Christina Lauren’s best and then some. Lily and Leo haven’t seen each other since they broke up, but are thrown together on a guided tour of the red rock canyons and desert. When something goes wrong, they have to confront their history and work together, risking their lives and hearts on their adventure. If you haven’t read Christina Lauren yet, pick up The Unhoneymooners or Twice in a Blue Moon while you wait for Something Wilder to come out!

These six reads are sure to keep your summer reading surprising you, from romance to horror to thriller and back. No matter how you’re planning on spending your #HotGirlSummer2022, we’ve got your reading list covered.

Hi! My name is C, I'm originally from Oregon and came to MSU to pursue my passions: fencing, gymnastics, theater, and writing. In addition to writing for HerCampus, I'm an avid fanfiction author/reader and also write plays and novels. When not on the fencing strip with the MSU Fencing team, I'm nose-deep in a good book or painting some wild art. Follow me on instagram @c.rosewidmann to see pictures of my furbabies.