Singers You Didn’t Know were Irish

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

In the current day, St. Patrick’s Day is a celebration of the Irish culture. What better way is there to celebrate Irish culture than by listening to artists who are Irish? 

Here are some singers who are Irish and their tunes that will have you dancing the jig! 

Calvin Harris 

Calvin Harris, known by family and friends as Adam Richard Wiles, is a Scottish DJ. He actually will be returning to Scotland this July for his first concert there in six years! (The Irish News) He has received a wide range of awards but I definitely have a few favorites out of his songs. My favorites include “Slide”, “Blame” (R3HAB Remix especially), and “Summer.”

Una Healy

Before her solo career, Una Healy was part of a girl group, The Saturdays. Healy was born in Thurles, Ireland. She has had various endeavors she’s partaken in from Irish TV shows to her own shoe line (Unahealy.com). In my opinion, some of her best songs are “Swear It All Again”, “Never See Me Cry”, and “Strangers.” 

Hozier

Hozier, also known as Andrew Hozier-Byrne, rose to fame from his song “Take Me to Church.” This song came together near Dublin, Ireland where he grew up (Rolling Stone). Hozier has an alternative style and a soulful voice. Besides “Take Me to Church” some of his best hits are “Tell It To My Heart” (with MEDUZA), “Almost”, and “Moment’s Silence.” 

Niall Horan

You might know Niall Horan from One Direction but did you know he’s from Mullingar, Ireland? After the break up of One Direction he went on to do a solo career. From his solo career have come some great songs like “Slow Hands”, “Our Song” (With Anne-Marie), and “On The Loose.” 

Christina Aguilera

While Christina Aguilera was born in New York, she has Irish roots and grew up in predominantly Irish areas. She grew up partaking in Irish traditions so while her Latina heritage is often highlighted, her Irish heritage played an important part in her life as well (Irish Central). Aguilera has sung various hits over the past few years including “Genie In a Bottle”, “Ain’t No Other Man”, and “Fighter”. 

Bonus: Ed Sheeran

Ed Sheeran’s grandparents are Irish but he’s not (don’t let the red hair and beard fool you). Sheeran is actually an Englishman who has a deep appreciation for the Irish. His hit songs like “Galway Girl” and “Nancy Mulligan” are all odes to Ireland.  

Sources:

https://www.irishnews.com/magazine/entertainment/2022/02/28/news/calvin-harris-announces-live-return-to-scotland-after-six-years-2601728/

https://www.unahealy.com/

https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/entertainment/christina-aguilera-irish-roots

Leah Lindemeyer was formerly the Community Outreach Director and an editor for Her Campus as MSU. She helped HCMSU remain active in the community and give back to East Lansing. Lindemeyer graduated from Michigan State University in spring of 2024 with a bachelor's degree in communication and minors in media photography, public relations, and global studies. After graduation, she will go to Ohio State for her Master's in communication. Lindemeyer wrote and edited for her high school's journalism program for all four years she attended. For her work, she earned the James L. McCann "Excellence in Journalism" Award two years in a row. In her free time, Lindemeyer enjoys water skiing, traveling, watching romantic comedies, and taking photos.