Shruti Elango
Shruti Elango
Original photo by Shruti Elango

Shruti Elango – Women’s History Month Committee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The Women’s History Month Commitee (WHMC) at Michigan State University has spent the past few weeks planning events to bring the community together while both teaching and inspiring.

The HCMSU represpentatives have each contributed their own ideas and backgrounds to the project and as a team planned a themed content week for HCMSU through articles and social media posts.

Here’s a look into one of our four chapter members on the committee and what they contributed to our school and our chapter during this historical month.

Shruti Elango: Class of 2024

A member of Her Campus since Spring 2021

Major: Economics

Minor: Quantitative Data Analytics

HCMSU Involvement: Staff Writer

Instagram: @shrutielango

Shruti Elango has been contributing different ideas and perspectives to the Women’s History Month Committee as a whole, while also doing her personal research in being able to share these ideas within our chapter and community.

She researched small businesses in the East Lansing area that are owned by women and also has been working on the idea of a book club. “I have attended the WHM planning meetings and came up with many event ideas, including the book club idea,” Elango said. 

“(Initially,) I wanted to get involved because I deeply care about women’s rights, among other issues, and the WHM planning committee seemed like the perfect opportunity to actively get involved in this cause,” she shared. “I have learned that a passionate group of individuals working together towards a common goal can really go a long way in making a difference. I love the support system we are creating for women at MSU. I love how well all the different organizations are working together to make this a success. It is very inspiring. I look forward to taking a satisfied sigh at the end of the month knowing that everything went well and that there will be more opportunities to take part in soon.”

Being a part of HCMSU has given Shruti a unique experience and an opportunity to share her perspectives in a welcoming community. 

“I came across some articles on the Her Campus website and enjoyed the many different perspectives young students from across the globe had to give,” Elango shared. “I looked into HCMSU and fell in love with the creative community and the idea of writing about anything you are passionate about. I love the people and the flexibility and support you get at HCMSU!”

When asked what was a motto or quote that she swore by, Elango stated “This might be pretty cliche, but the quote “fake it till you make” has helped me get through many significant moments in my life. The confidence I “faked” about five years ago comes much more naturally to me now. I am a more confident person now, and while this quote was obviously not the sole reason for it, it definitely had a pretty big influence.”

Shruti wrote an article for the themed content week that you can view here, along with other articles she has written.

Kaytlyn is a Senior at MSU majoring in Marketing and minoring in Creative Writing. She has been a published journalist and writer for over six years. Kaytlyn is currently the Chapter President and Campus Correspondent for HCMSU as well as being involved in the Campus Trendsetters program, College Fashionista program, and the HCM Internship Credit program. Outside of Her Campus, Kaytlyn has two cats, Leo and Zelda, as well as a ferret named Willow. She is also the President, Marketing Director, and a co-founder of the Creative Writing Club at MSU. She is also a cheer coach.