This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As we enter 2023, we enter a new year with the possibility of brand new trends within the beauty industry. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular beauty trends of 2022 that we’ll certainly not forget.

Soap Brows

Soap brows grew in popularity over 2022, which appeared to be a sharp shift from the classic “2016 Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip Brow” look. Rather than making your brows look perfectly defined and filled in, the soap brow look showcases thick and fluffy brows. There were a few options to achieve this look from using specific products  to getting semi-permanent brow lamination done by a professional.

Glass Skin

Dewy skincare and makeup looks dominated most of 2022. Commonly referred to as “Glass Skin,” the look was achieved by taking a few extra steps to elevate your skincare routine or base before the makeup routine. Products with moisturizing, hydrating, and glowy properties were often always sold out due to their popularity from Tik Tok and other social media platforms. The “glass skin” look was certainly a change from the classic matte skin look that carried on for a few years prior.

Glossy Lips

Glossy lips were a staple to many individual’s makeup routines in 2022. The transition from matte lip looks achieved with lipsticks to glossy lip looks achieved with lip oils and lip glosses took me by surprise. Lip oils in particular took off in 2022, with one of the most popular makeup products being the Dior Lip Glow Oil, which was consistently swiped off the shelves due to its popularity.  

Slugging

Slugging was one of the biggest skincare trends of 2022. Slugging refers to lathering your face with Vaseline, Aquaphor, or similar products to lock in hydration and prevent water loss. The key with this was to use an occlusive moisturizer in order to create a physical barrier on the top of the skin for hydration and moisture. Although this process wasn’t recommended for those with oily or acne prone skin, it had the ability to work wonders for those looking to repair their damaged skin barrier.

Glazed Donut Nails

Social media was set ablaze when Hailey Bieber showcased her signature “Glazed Donut Nails.” Her classic look was created using OPI’s Funny Bunny gel nail polish paired with OPI’s Tin Man Can chrome effect powder on top. Aside from the milky white chrome nails look Bieber had, others used the same technique to create similar looks such as neon chrome nails, pastel chrome nails, french tip chrome nails and more. 

It will definitely be interesting to see if these popular beauty trends continue into 2023, or if we will pick up entirely new trends that will change the beauty industry yet again. 

Nikita Shetti is a Senior at Michigan State University studying Applied Engineering Sciences with a concentration in Supply Chain Management. She is an avid dog lover, who also enjoys travelling and trying new foods.