This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

During summer, you have the freedom to spend your time the way you want to. However, you should try to use this time productively. What were the things that you wanted to do during the school year but you couldn’t because you were too busy? Are you still trying to make summer plans? Here are some suggestions for a productive summer. 

Work out in different ways to make exercise more fun 

There are so many different forms of exercise. Some things that you could try are dance classes, yoga, pilates, roller blading, jump roping, biking, calisthenics, and more. These are all fun ways to exercise and prioritize your health during the summer. Take advantage of the sunshine and get outside more this summer!

Travel somewhere new 

If you have the budget, consider traveling somewhere new like the Grand Canyon, New York City, etc. If not, you could always consider looking for somewhere near you. There are so many hidden places that are undiscovered by the internet. You never know what you could find. I’d suggest looking up hiking trails, museums, or festivals near you. You’d be surprised by what you might find. 

Learn a new language 

You’ve probably seen so many people traveling, but maybe you still have to save up for that trip to Italy. In the meantime, try to learn the language so when you travel there, you can dive deeper into the culture and get to fully experience the country. Even if you don’t plan on traveling somewhere, learning a new language is a great way to learn about a culture. If you like Kpop and Kdramas, consider learning Korean. If you like to watch anime, consider learning Japanese. This summer, try taking a class to learn a new language (check out Lingoda) or buy your own text book and self-study. 

Take an online course 

This could be through your university or a community college. Taking a course could help you graduate faster or save more money if you decide to finish some required classes at a community college. However, make sure your university accepts the credit from the community college or else you’ll end up wasting time and money. Google certifications is another excellent way to learn about something new, such as project management or data analytics. If you’re looking for online courses about hobbies, SkillShare may be more your style. You don’t have to focus too much on your academics or career during the summer, so learning a new hobby through courses could be a fun and productive way to spend your summer. 

Volunteer somewhere 

Find something that interests you and that you’re passionate about. Look into volunteering at your local shelter to help out and enjoy spending time with cats and/or dogs. Another way could be volunteering at a soup kitchen or doing a food drives. This would be a good way to make an impact without spending money and to give back to the community. If you like knitting or crocheting, consider donating hats, scarves, blankets, etc. to hospitals or other places. There may be requirements to follow before making these items, but this is a good way to contribute to the community while also doing a hobby. If you have a refugee center near you, maybe teaching English to kids and/or adults could be a way to volunteer. If you are interested in the environment, consider doing a can drive. The proceeds from the can drive could go to an organization dedicated to improving the environment. There is something for everyone, so make sure to do some research and find a way that suits you to give back to the community. 

Get a job 

This might seem basic, but there are a lot of ways you could make some cash during the summer. You could consider babysitting, cat/dog sitting, lawn mowing, or starting your own business. You could start off by asking your neighbors if they are interested in your services and charge appropriately, depending on the service. Beside these, you could also find a seasonal job like becoming a camp counselor, being a lifeguard, working at a restaurant or cafe, and more. Getting a job is a good way to start off your resume and to make some money, since college is expensive. You don’t want to go back to school feeling like you’re still broke and can’t afford to eat out once in a while. 

This summer, take some time to plan out what you want to do. Maybe you should make a summer bucket list of things you want to do during the summer like going to the beach, having a picnic or movie night with friends and/or family, and making your own ice cream or popsicles. After you finish college, you might never have a summer vacation again (unless you’re a teacher), so seize the day while you’re still in college.

Serena Chan is a freshman at Michigan State University with an interest in the business field. In her spare time, she enjoys drinking smoothies and tea, traveling, reading new books, and spending time with friends and family.