Places You Definitely Need to Visit When You Come to Chicago

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I love many aspects of my city, but one of my favorite things about Chicago is the potential for exploration. From the North to South Side and everything in between, it can be overwhelming to sort through the best spots to eat or what hallmarks you must see before you leave. And  I promise I’m not going to tell you to go see the Bean in Millennium Park or stare at Van Gogh’s paintings at the Art Institute of Chicago. Although these places are great in their own respect, the following spots are my go-tos whenever I’m home. 

Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria(s)

Locations: throughout the city

It’s hard for me to pass up a good deep dish slice of pizza. Lou Malnati’s is a Chicago pizza chain, and locations can be found all throughout the Chicago metropolitan area. I have been to popular pizzerias like Pequod’s and the Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company, but nothing beats the availability and consistency of a delicious slice of Lou Malnati’s. 

Strange Cargo Tees

Location: 5216 N Clark St, Chicago, IL

I feel like the name of this shop is somewhat confusing. Strange Cargo Tees sells tees, yes, but this store has so much more to offer. Their quirky selection of jewelry, bags, tees, and other odds and ends will keep you coming back every time. I would like to think there is something for everyone, and it is definitely on my to-do list when I get home. 

Smoque BBQ

Location: 3800 N Pulaski Rd, Chicago, IL

If you ever find yourself in a barbeque type of mood, Smoque BBQ is hands down one of the best barbeque joints in Chicago. It is almost always busy and bustling, so plan ahead to wait in line, especially if it’s a Friday night. Ribs, pulled pork, mac n cheese, cornbread, and peach cobbler are just some examples of what this place has to offer. Once you smell the barbeque smoke wafting down Pulaski, this one’s hard to resist. 

RR #1

Location: 814 N Ashland Ave, Chicago, IL

Make sure you type this name correctly into Google Maps, because it’s easy to misspell. A restored 1930s pharmacy, RR #1 is probably the most interesting shop I have visited in Chicago. When you initially walk in, you are greeted by a mysterious atmosphere with merchandise in almost any corner you can think of. I could spend days in RR #1 and still not discover every product hiding in those 4 walls. Its uniqueness truly embodies the spirit of Chicago, making it an essential destination. 

Bang Bang Pie & Biscuits

Location: 2051 N California Ave, Chicago, IL

I just had to include a dessert spot on this list, although I could  write a whole separate article about all the bakeries I have frequented (too many). There’s a reason this place is called Bang Bang. It puts the Bang in pies and biscuits, and their rotating menu makes every visit even more appealing. Nothing is more American than pie, and Chicago definitely does it right with Bang Bang. 

This list could go on for pages and pages, so it really took a lot of willpower on my part to only include five spots on here. I sincerely hope these destinations transform your stereotypical Chicago trip itinerary. Welcome to the Windy City!

Eliana Hollis is a first-year nursing major at Michigan State University. She began writing for HerCampus MSU in January 2024. She aspires to become a women's health or neonatal nurse practitioner. In her free time, she enjoys crocheting, reading/writing, practicing piano, and playing tennis.