Operation Breakthrough: My Trip to Kansas City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

When people ask me how my trip to Kansas City was, it’s hard for me to give an adequate response. I usually give them the typical “It was great!” answer, but in reality, it was so much more than that.

Going into my trip, I was very narrow-minded. I was told that we would be assisting in day-care programs in which 98% of the children were below the federal poverty line. I figured I would simply be playing with kids and keeping them company. Upon arrival, I soon realized that this was not the case.

On our first day, I woke up groggy and anxious, wondering how I would be spending the next week. I learned that we would be volunteering at an early childcare center called “Operation Breakthrough.” After meeting with our volunteer coordinator and watching a quick video about what Operation Breakthrough consisted of, I began to understand how important this week would truly be.

Operation Breakthrough serves over 400 children every day, 98% of whom are living in poverty. It works to develop their potential by providing a safe, loving and educational environment. When I thought OB was simply a daycare, I was sadly mistaken. The center has multiple kinds of therapy with licensed clinical therapists, a health clinic, a dental clinic, before-and after-school programs, parenting classes, a food pantry and even a clothing store, where parents can get clothing for both their children and themselves. Walking into OB, I had no idea of the amount of lives that are helped and improved each and every day by the program.

I worked in the baby room with kids between 0-1 years old. Going into this, I had no idea how incredibly smart these children would be. I figured that since they were babies, they would not have a large understanding of their surroundings, but once again, I was wrong. These children, some not even a year old, would listen to their teachers and do exactly as they were told. It may not seem astonishing, but when you give a ten-month-old a specific command, you’re quite surprised when they reciprocate. I’ve come to realize that they aren’t “just kids.” They are learning, growing and absorbing everything that you say and do. This is why Operation Breakthrough is so incredible; they’re teaching children the skills that they need, not only now, but throughout their futures. These kids are loved, cared for and are learning new things every day.

Being with these kids has taught me more than I ever thought was possible. I realize that every person I meet may be going through something that I may not ever know about. Seeing the positivity these children radiate, despite their situation, has really put things into perspective for me. Believe me when I say that when you’re having a rough day, when you freeze walking to class, and when your exam was harder than you thought, someone has it worse than you. Nobody should have to feel bad about where they came from or how they grew up, but those lucky enough to have a roof over their heads and parents who love and care for them should always remember to be grateful.

I now know that one person CAN make a difference. Call it cliché, call it impossible, but I know that if someone truly wants to make a change, they can do it. Operation Breakthrough showed me the bigger picture. The problem is not just in Kansas City, but everywhere. No matter where you go, there will be poverty, there will be people experiencing homelessness, and there will be people living paycheck-to-paycheck. It’s up to us — even us college students — to help make a difference. You never know what someone could be going through, and we must not make judgments or jump to conclusions. We must lend a helping hand, a smile or simply just a few positive words.

So when you ask me how my trip to Kansas City was, it was more than great. It was eye-opening, and it was life-changing.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian