This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Waking up on November 1st is like waking up on a different planet. We spend the entire month of October putting together the perfect costume, going to parties, and enjoying sweet treats. When Spooky Season ends the day after Halloween, suddenly there are carols on the radio, Christmas aisles in stores, and new drinks at Starbucks.

I think this transition from October to December is tragic since it overlooks one of the most special months – and holidays – of the year. November is the final month of Fall and signifies a time of great change. We celebrate Native American Heritage Month, Veteran’s Day, and many other special days honoring the important contributions groups of people have made to our country. The school year seems to ramp up, but things slow down as Thanksgiving break approaches, giving us a few days of much needed rest and family time. It also marks the end of the regular football season, forcing us to wait 9 months for the tailgates and cherished times with friends to be upon us again.

Unfairly overlooking November causes an entire month of our lives to pass us by when there are still so many memories to be made and experiences to enjoy. The time with family and friends that we are given is invaluable, and we should do our best to make the most of these 30 days.

Rachel is the Social Media Director at Her Campus MSU. She is a Senior at MSU's James Madison College studying Political Theory and Constitutional Democracy with a double minor in Business, and Science, Technology, Environment, and Public Policy. After graduation, she hopes to become a public interest lawyer or work in the government sector. She is an avid camper and enjoys spending her time in the great outdoors hiking and biking. She loves ice skating and has recently been trying to learn some new moves! Rachel also enjoys reading, cooking, crocheting, and trying as many bubble tea places as she can find.