Nay Da Great
Nay Da Great
Photo by Janazzy Batiste

Nay Da Great: Good Guyz Music’s Rising Star

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Co-founder of Good Guyz music, the Queen of Rap, Nay Da Great is a star on the rise. Based out of Lafayette, Louisiana, already having decent following and traction, she is paving her way through the industry as a musician and as a label with a sound that she describes as “rap and blues.”

Having been around since the start of the company, Nay has been there though it all and has played a role in making tough decisions all while setting the vibe and creating the platform for what Good Guyz Music is today. “When we first started it was just me, Dj Redd Pill, and Rocky. Now we have a whole team of people, even interns, and more artists on the roster. More people are starting to pay attention to the movement because we are still pushing.”

“You have to be consistent and stay focused on the goal. There’s so many obstacles that we deal with behind the scenes, but at the end of the day, we have to keep pushing.” Nay shared.

As far as musical inspiration, she draws from “so many different artists for many different reasons. Jay Z because he’s also a business mogul, Kanye because he’s dope and he’s passionate about his beliefs, Mia X cuz she can spit and we both from Louisiana. Also, I wasn’t this girly girl either so I related to her.”

When asked about what it’s like being a woman in the music industry, Nay shared that “It’s kind of annoying to be honest, I just want people to listen to the music. Some won’t even listen [to my music] because they think I rap like the typical female. No shade to anyone, but I have a lot going on in my mind and music is an outlet for me. I have real stuff that I rap about if people can get past the fact that I’m a woman. It’s like we have to go three times harder and look good while doing it, and even then, that still ain’t enough if you’re not a pushover.”

Nay shared that there is no end in sight as she plans to “go hard forever. However, the ultimate end goal is to make a legacy to leave behind for my offspring.” Additionally, she opened up about her family. “Besides my maternal grandmother, me and my family didn’t know anyone else in our lineage. Not even their names, until I did research on ancestry.com. So, I always wanted to make so much of an impact, my descendants will most definitely know who they come from.”

Outside of music, Nay lives by an “I do what I want” attitude. Initially, she meant it jokingly, but now she sees it as wanting to be able to say that she has done everything that she wanted to do in life. She also likes to read, watch documentaries, and draw in her free time.

But, music still occupies a majority of her life. From ten years old up until now, she has been writing and creating music. She now works with other members of the Good Guyz Music family where the artists are also big fans of one another.

Nay Da Great and DJ Redd Pill recently released a mixtape together of some older songs that spoke to both of them but that just haven’t been published up until this point. You can listen to the Lost Files here.

So, what is next for the Queen of Rap?

“Right now, I’m in work mode.” She hopes to have her upcoming project, Nay Z, ready to drop by the time fall comes around. During that time, she hopes to be doing some shows as well but there aren’t any set dates or locations at this point.

To finish off, Nay leaves us with this advice: “Don’t let anyone sway you away from your dreams no matter how big it may seem and you have to believe in yourself more than anyone else, that’ll hold you when it feels like no one else does.”

You can find Nay Da Great on these platforms!

Instagram: naydagreatla

Twitter: naydagreat1

Facebook: Nay Da Great.

Nay Da Great on Spotify

Nay Da Great on Youtube

Nay Da Great Website

Her Campus at MSU thanks you for sharing with us what it took for you to get where you are now, your inspirations, and what it means to be a woman in the music industry. We’re very excited for what’s next from you!

Kaytlyn is a Senior at MSU majoring in Marketing and minoring in Creative Writing. She has been a published journalist and writer for over six years. Kaytlyn is currently the Chapter President and Campus Correspondent for HCMSU as well as being involved in the Campus Trendsetters program, College Fashionista program, and the HCM Internship Credit program. Outside of Her Campus, Kaytlyn has two cats, Leo and Zelda, as well as a ferret named Willow. She is also the President, Marketing Director, and a co-founder of the Creative Writing Club at MSU. She is also a cheer coach.