This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With classes going back to being online, there’s been a surge of mixed feelings. Some are excited to go back to a laid-back routine, while others fear doing worse in their classes due to an increase in ADHD-like symptoms and brain fogginess or fatigue. Personally, I struggled very hard with the first semester online, but managed to grow after my past mistakes. Here is my survival guide to online courses, which hopefully will help you to l be able to survive and succeed in these conditions.

Health comes first

Did you suffer from brain fog or depression during your time with online courses? Look at how you were physically, mentally during those times. If you notice that you significantly suffered rather than thrived, it is a sign to focus on your health. Your health and mental state can impact your academic performance tremendously. Seeing a doctor or mental health specialist can really help you improve your lifestyle as you navigate the circumstances. Your mental health shouldn’t have to decline as we navigate through these hard times so you should definitely see a doctor to help you manage your mental health!

Change your environment as much as you can

With courses and many events going online, it is extremely easy to fall into a pattern of  only being at home and isolating yourself from your day to day life. It can be helpful to create a schedule in which you change your location. Try studying at the library or watching your zoom lectures in different coffee shops around town —you will be assisting small businesses while being productive.

Move your body

One of the important moments of surviving online courses was discovering the different dance courses offered in my college town as I looked for ways to keep my body active. It can be a great break from the online world. Go on a walk with a friend or sign up for a virtual yoga class. 

Communicate with your professor It’s sometimes very easy to forget that professors and teachers are similarly affected by the pandemic as we are. Their whole career is to communicate and to connect with their students. With classes being online, it has become even harder for students to fully find the courage to communicate with professors, and sometimes communicate only when a serious event happens. Finding time to simply talk to the professor to get to know them, as well as generally striving to make new connections and friendships during this time is extremely important.

Daniela Bondekwe is a sophomore at Michigan State University majoring in Neuroscience with a minor in Film Studies and Italian. She enjoys hiking, making videos, trying different foods at different cities, and astrology.